How do you survive on £60 per week. ?

My house is mid-terrace, so holds SOME warmth, but I've got the kitchen, off-shot on the back, cold tile floor, a big arch through to the dining room, with a huge brick fireplace where I should really have a woodburner, all wood floors and just an empty room (bar the dog and the parrot) then another big arch way, a small hall with the front door and stairs, yet another arch, and a draughty living room!

And all the open doors will let the hot air move straight through and probably up the stairs. My house got a lot easier to heat when I put another door in at the bottom of the attic stairs as the attic is the least well insulated part of the house.

Re heating, isn't there some sort of figure for living in fuel poverty? Is it something like 15%, I might we wrong, perhaps someone can put me right.

Anyhoo, a single person's monthly income on the dole is about £290. My heating is £95 which I pay by direct debit. So, I am actually paying around 32% of my income on heating.

That is your income after housing costs. If you add on the monthly rent and council tax benefits which might come to another £300 (and possibly more), then your income would be more than double what you quoted. Your fuel costs are roughly 16% of that.

How to live on £60 a week, you don't live, you exist.

Contrast that to an unelected peer in that other house, AKA Mr Prescott, I believe they do not geat paid, but can claim £350 a day expenses. Work is signing in, that qualifies them for their brass, after that it's up to you, either go into the house, or nip off for a days shopping.

Nice work if you can get it.

Angel.

The whole systems gone mad I work for my self and have never made as much money and never been as skint, my missus whent shopping and spent £100 and there were only a couple of bags of shopping, I used to walk around with grand in my back pocket at one time I had a fiver in my pocket today, everything has gone crazy mortgage rates gas electric water bills have gone through the roof no one gives me a any help with any thing at all,its like a rat race I wish I could say stuff it and sign on the dole and sit around getting my bills paid and £65 a week in my pocket and no worries,I think I would probably get fed up after a few weeks though.

The whole systems gone mad I work for my self and have never made as much money and never been as skint, my missus whent shopping and spent £100 and there were only a couple of bags of shopping, I used to walk around with grand in my back pocket at one time I had a fiver in my pocket today, everything has gone crazy mortgage rates gas electric water bills have gone through the roof no one gives me a any help with any thing at all,its like a rat race I wish I could say stuff it and sign on the dole and sit around getting my bills paid and £65 a week in my pocket and no worries,I think I would probably get fed up after a few weeks though.

You would get fed up Tom. You are a grafter, someone who can hold his head up high in a shop when buying something knowing that you have earned your money rather it being a sad handout.

You would get fed up Tom. You are a grafter, someone who can hold his head up high in a shop when buying something knowing that you have earned your money rather it being a sad handout.

You are completely wrong there.

The times I get maddened and frustrated are the times I am earning my money. They are the hard times.

I loathe and detest working for the man, but he needs my knowledge, and I need his money.

Along with paying the Utility bills, paying for camerons private wars etc.

My best times are giving my money out, buying the things I have worked for, eating the good food, drinking the good drink. Giving to my family, and friends. Knowing I am a contributer, not a leech as the capitalist is.

Bit dangerous that, £1000 in your back pocket.

You were risking it a bit there.

In the 70's if you had £50 cash you were risking getting rolled over.

Archived