How do you survive on £60 per week. ?

£60 per week is a basic sum to keep you fed and watered until employment is found, it's enough to do this. The idea is that you find work if you want the luxuries in life.
I am working and still don't have luxuries. Once I have paid, rent and got gas and electric and food there is barely anything left. It sucks, considering I felt better off on benefits. My daughter gets upset at me going to work, I then feel guilty at leaving her upset. The only upside is I am earning my own money.

This made me laugh, we do all this (and more) to try and save cash and we both work. surely

these things are common sense money savers for everyone? If

people on benefits arent doing these things no wonder the benefits bill is so high!

No need for the rudeness. I was just stating how someone could survive on £60 a week! Some people have no manners. You rude person!!

I am working and still don't have luxuries. Once I have paid, rent and got gas and electric and food there is barely anything left. It sucks, considering I felt better off on benefits. My daughter gets upset at me going to work, I then feel guilty at leaving her upset. The only upside is I am earning my own money.

You are doing the right thing though. Even though it might be heart breaking for your daughter not to see mummy for the biggest part of the day, at least you will have instilled a work ethic into her. In her adult years she may have some pride, just like her mum does.

£60 a week is shocking,how is anyone supposed to survive on that? its about time this rich country of ours gave those on JSA a decent amount to live on.

If your single and have no vulnerability issues and live in your own mortgated property, £60 is shockingly sht.

The only time benefits are any good is for families and disabled people. But its an ethical subject deal with. Should society punish children and disabled people by cutting benefits just because they aren't in work?

If so, hasn't the government left it a bit late to push people into jobs? It would have been better do do all this when the country wasn't in ressession. I support labour, but they are a set of numpties :loopy:

You may have been better off in one way on the dole, but in most ways you were worse off.

Everything you do now is done by you, you have worked for it, and earned it.

Every meal your daughter eats, every treat and present she gets is coming from you, yourself, personaly.

You can look the world in the eye.

I know how hard it is to see others being idle when you are grafting.

But be proud that you are contributing member and are a cut above them.

Also, as a worker, you can claim a raft of assistance if your wage is below a certain ammount, espescially if you have a little one you know.

Re heating, isn't there some sort of figure for living in fuel poverty? Is it something like 15%, I might we wrong, perhaps someone can put me right.

Anyhoo, a single person's monthly income on the dole is about £290. My heating is £95 which I pay by direct debit. So, I am actually paying around 32% of my income on heating.

I do believe that if on benefits, and possibly other forms of low income, you get £25 per week for every week that the average recorded temperature in your area is under zero.

When my dad left home, he left thousands of debt, and my mother with no job, she went on the JSA till she found work, she somehow managed to feed both me and her and live for the week on £55... to this day I still don't know just how she managed that

We had to cut off the Sky tv, internet, phone, mobiles were limited to top ups every now and then. I remember one week we were so short we lived on nothing but cheap cheap sausages lol... ohh dear.

I remember when I could go out for an evening with a pound in my pocket, hire a coach and four to the opera, dine at the Savoy, enjoy a bottle of the finest French wine and still come home with change in my pocket

Like many on here I suspect, I can remember when a quid would put fuel in the Motor Bike, buy 2 pints of ale and a bag of chips on the way home. The halcyon days of yesteryear.

Angel.

Archived