How do you survive on £60 per week. ?

I read another thread and it suggested people on benefits just sit home all day playing on computers, drinking and smoking pot, but how can they on less than £10 per day. ?

I doubt i could even stay warm and have a full stomach on such a lowly sum.

This forum despises the unemployed, according them jobs are literally everywhere.

There's lodsa jobs, usually when we're all asleep though. :hihi:

Regarding the OP, I think the idea is that you can't live off £60 per week so you look for work. With everyday household bills the money soon goes so you dont have anything left to injur youself with alcohol or drugs. The thing is that these ill people will spend the money on these first then have no money for bills or food making their position much worse.

My thoughts on Tax credits are they are a joke, why not pay the correct wage in the first place. I think the suitcase model works wonders which keeps yourself agile and fast. keep bills down by stopping with friends and relatives for a week. This put a focus on you for that time and they could name drop you to their friends and collegaues who need positions filling. Living in your own place on benefits gives you a false sense of security with your own choices what to do.

Regarding shopping, supermarkets are impersonal and have own brand essentails which are low in cost. They are also low in nutrition and I would like to feed these to the MDs of the supermarkets for a week to see how they do. To me they are taking advantage.

If you have small shops talk to the assistants/owners about your situation and see if they can do you any end of day deals.

Tax credits alter the amount of tax you pay, your shifting the responsibility from the government (by managing tax) onto the employer by suggesting "pay the correct wage". Presumably by "correct" you mean more. Why not expect the government to tax the low paid less?

I signed on the dole over the summer for a short time and hated it - it is pretty much £60 a week which is paid fornightly . . . . i had no life and was stuck at home as didnt have the money to do anything as the money i got went on bills etc

I was constantly looking for work and am now working in the cinema as a stop gap and to actually be out earning some money - I am a qualified teacher but I would sooner be doing any job while finding a teaching job than signing on the dole any longer

I just wouldn't know where to start. !

No nights out, no car, no holiday, i doubt i'd be able to keep any pets, no money for hobbies, and how could you even buy basic clothes. ?

ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE THINGS THAT YOU SHOULD WORK FOR!!!

If you can't find work, then do what my dad did in the 1980s. Get off your backside, and find something!!!! Even if it means working abroad, (like my dad did, and still does!!!!)

If you can't find work, then do what my dad did in the 1980s. Get off your backside, and find something!!!! Even if it means working abroad, (like my dad did, and still does!!!!)

Is this Norman Tibbit?

The famous 1980s MP who did not like the unemployed?

Tax credits alter the amount of tax you pay, your shifting the responsibility from the government (by managing tax) onto the employer by suggesting "pay the correct wage". Presumably by "correct" you mean more. Why not expect the government to tax the low paid less?

Tax credits just subsidise low paying employers. We should tax the low paid less, or maybe not at all for the very low paid, make allowances £15,000.

Tax credits are an extra benefit. I think they're wrong because they subsidise employers that want cheap labour. They're unfair because not everybody can get them. It must cost a bit to administer the system too.

Employers should pay honest wages instead.

The whole tax & benefits system should be reformed. Give people decent benefits when they're out of work, don't cut them off so sharply when people find work, especially if it's low paid or part time work - that's one of the worst things about the current system. Then don't start taxing them until they're on a decent wage.

Even worse than only getting £60 a week is having that cut off straight away if you find a bit of part time casual work.

I'm sure it could all be worked into the income tax system, have negative income tax rates so the government pays money when you're below a certain income, rather than unemployment benefits. A cut in admin costs could fund an increase in benefits paid to those with little or no work.

We should also have wealth taxes, as well as income taxes. Maybe 1% per year from everyone who has more than £1m?

Archived