How do you survive on £60 per week. ?

£2.50 per day. ?

I suppose you could swipe their bog rolls whilst there, a man has to have some luxuries. :suspect:

Not to mention reading their news papers for a couple of hours, negating the costs of heating your own place, thus, saving you even more money :nod:

I'm self employed and survive on £0 when I have no work. Eat beans. People seem to survive for some time on benefits as other things like rent and rates are paid by those who work. So shut it and take the gift, ITS FREE:rant:

I'm self employed and survive on £0 when I have no work. Eat beans. People seem to survive for some time on benefits as other things like rent and rates are paid by those who work. So shut it and take the gift, ITS FREE:rant:

That would be fraudulent of me, as i too am SE. :)

Not really, they go direct to the employee's.

Who get paid less because the employers know that they can still get staff at those low rates of pay, because tax credits will top them up for a lot of people.

That would seem to be simpler, and it's something the lib dems have wanted to do for a long time. But credits effectively achieve the same thing whilst allowing them to be targeted at specific groups, like parents.

Single, male, under 25, no kids? Sorry you're out of luck.

I don't see how, they have no affect on what the employer pays, just the same as altering the base allowance wouldn't.

Employers know they can pay minimum wage for 30 hours & still get staff because the government will almost double the wages. Some people will get more in government paid benefits while working than they would on the dole. Others just have to put up with the low wages if they want a job.

I don't see what that would achieve apart from to drive the wealthy offshore, how does that help the situation?

People who're already wealthy contribute little to society. They don't pay any tax on their accumulated wealth. Rather than trying to mess around with unfair 'mansion taxes', etc, like the lib dems, we should just tax wealth. Whether it drives people abroad or not is a question of the level it is set at. We could reduce other taxes on income, business & consumption to encourage more productive people to take their places.

The same arguments you use against tax credits apply to a change to the base allowance as well. The key difference is that the basic allowance applies to everyone and not to specific groups only, other than that, it has the same affect.

People who are already wealthy contribute by continuing to generate more wealth (for which they are taxed) and by spending their wealth (on which they are taxed).

Your argument for a wealth tax sounds like jealousy.

The same arguments you use against tax credits apply to a change to the base allowance as well. The key difference is that the basic allowance applies to everyone and not to specific groups only, other than that, it has the same affect.

People who are already wealthy contribute by continuing to generate more wealth (for which they are taxed) and by spending their wealth (on which they are taxed).

Your argument for a wealth tax sounds like jealousy.

The key to capitalism is that prices are forced down via increases in production.

By having a maximum income this is possible. Price deflation (of goods) and increased living standards for all can be encouraged.

Currently one can force down wages to increase profit, that is good for only a few at the top. Their behaviour needs to be kept in check. They need to be encouraged to increase production/the efficiency of production.

I disagree that that is the key to capitalism at all, I'm not convinced that it's much to do with it at all. What you're talking about is mass production, something that came a long time after capitalism.

If I understand correctly by deflation you're referring to the cost of living getting cheaper and thus the standard of living increasing (I wouldn't call that deflation, but I think that's what you meant).

Currently one cannot force wages anywhere, you have to pay the market rate or you can't hire anyone. Companies are as keen as anyone to make production more efficient, if one worker can produce more, or a robot produce it, then it's cheaper to make and more of it can be sold, profits go up. Profit is all the encouragement a company needs to increase efficiency, forcing them somehow to increase wages would lower that efficiency.

Archived