How do you survive on £60 per week. ?

Bear in mind that I'd imagine that would be for a single person. I remember watching a documentary on c4 a year or so back about mps living with a family on benefits. Each family had a flat screen, sone of the kids had nintendo ds and most found some money for fags each week.

This I saw. It might have been careful editing or careful budgeting but it could be done.

Don't you think that some people have friends, that help them out?

I'm thinking of my situation here, a lone male surviving on £60 per week, or a female for that matter, which would be even worse, so if we can keep it to that i'd be grateful, there are plenty of other threads covering families on benefits.

Only the right-wing nutters, most of whom don't live in / come from Sheffield anyway.

And probably as unemployed as the unemployed they have a go at.

I call them the fake workers, and for some uncanny reason spend a lot of time on SF. Ironically their only beating themselves up..yipee!

£60 a week? May as well spend it on uppers.

I think that's the going rate on benefits for a single person.

How do they manage. ?

That's less than a tenner a day. ! :o

I know i couldn't do it and i'd crap myself if faced with having to do so.

On that note i take my hat off to them, and whilst i hate pitying anyone, i do, it must be shear hell.

Let me think....

Rent: £0

Council tax:£0

Insurance: £0

Gas, water and electricity: £20

Food: £30

Excess: £10

I think that's the going rate on benefits for a single person.

How do they manage. ?

That's less than a tenner a day. ! :o

I know i couldn't do it and i'd crap myself if faced with having to do so.

On that note i take my hat off to them, and whilst i hate pitying anyone, i do, it must be shear hell.

My day-to day living expenses are about $4.00

THAT'S THE TRUTH, BUT WAS IT WHAT YOU WANTED TO HEAR

I just wouldn't know where to start. !

No nights out, no car, no holiday, i doubt i'd be able to keep any pets, no money for hobbies, and how could you even buy basic clothes. ?

I'd be terrified at the prospect.

Your nights out, car, holiday, pets, hobbies, and clothes shouldn’t be paid for by the tax payer, the tax payer just keeps a roof over your head, and give you enough money for heating and basic food.

I am not and never have been materialistic and I don't have kids. It is probably easier for me because I don't need a wii, a playstation, an xbox and lots and lots of booze.

But you state that you are very glad never to shop at Primark again?? :o

Yes Scozzie, how dare you want clothes that stay in shape and don't come undone at the seams after one wash. How DARE you...

I'm thinking of my situation here, a lone male surviving on £60 per week, or a female for that matter, which would be even worse, so if we can keep it to that i'd be grateful, there are plenty of other threads covering families on benefits.

It must be really difficult for a single person to live indefinitely on around £60 a week. Pensioners, and families on benefits are better off. However, as someone pointed out, its not meant to be a long term situation, but a short term support between jobs. Unfortunately at the moment there aren't many jobs. :(

Many youngish adults who are unemployed still live with their families, and may well have most of their £60 for whatever they want. Sharing accommodation is also more manageable in terms of bills than trying to keep a home running independently on such a small income. So not all single jobseekers are in the same position.

If it was me, I'd be looking at voluntary work, as apart from increasing my skills base, expenses are paid and refreshments provided in many cases. Being out of my home would save money on heat and lighting etc. I'd also try and get any free training available, and use the IT facilities in libraries.

I have had the unfortunate situation of being on benefit for the last 5 months and have claimed Employment Support Allowance (£67.50 single person), Rent and Council Tax benefit. You can survive on £67.50 per week. I am talking from a single persons point of view here.

It has taught me how frugally one can live. OK not many nights out, new clothes, etc. etc. but you can get some nice clothes in charity shops.

I don't need my car but I want it, big difference there. It's a good car, 10 year old Audi A2 but fulfils my needs of a car. Very good on diesel (£20 would last me 10-14 days).

You change your cooking habits. Buy your meat and plenty of vegetables and make stew and freeze portions. You can eat cheap.

Luckily (if that's the right word!), my illness struck in Summer so gas bill/electric bill was very cheap!!

Anyway, I could go on and on but you get my drift. One person can live on £67.50 per week.

P.S. I don't drink or smoke so that helps lol

Archived