How do you survive on £60 per week. ?

That is a little rough. All those things can be cheap enough depending on what they are. Unemployment benefit isn't a life of punishment.

It isn't a punishment it should be a means of surviving until they find work.

Most people will have cloths before they claim benefits so shouldn't need to buy more in the short term, as you say pets can be cheap to keep, and there new hobby should be improving their skills, and looking for work by taking advantage of free training and resources.

Being out of work isn’t an excuse to do nothing it should be a full time job studying and looking for work.

You won't be living the life of Riley, but it can be done.

What do you really need to spend a tenner a day on? You can live on that quite easily really, assuming rent and council tax are paid for you. I use the term 'easily' loosely.

Load of rubbish, it.can't be done. I was getting £64 per week for a single person, that's paying all the bills except the mortgage.that was after35years of paying into the system.

I work full time and after all my rent and bils I have to live on less than £10.00 a day.

Considering most claimants also get housing benefits, extra monies for each child/dependant, free dental, free healthcare treatments, free prescriptions and access to apply for other general financial support including emergency loans, assistance with travel, food, clothing etc.

You can survive quite easily on a TEMPORARY basis - after all that's what non life dependant benefits are for. Just temporary.

I think you are missing the point if you are supposed to survive on it. Its supposed to be a stop gap whilst you are in dire straits and nothing else.

You need to get in touch with the chancellor, he said no one working would be worse off than those not working.

This is true, what with Housing benefit not fully covering my rent, having to travel to and from the JobCentre and interviews when required, paying bills (internet, gas, electric, water), food, clothes, toiletries, I'm actually only on one meal per day at best at the moment!

to top it off, i'm living in my overdraft as a result of some debt left behind by my ex, struggling to pay things, and have to move out by the end of the month (with nowhere to go) as the landlord want's the property back, and I cannot afford the full rent now any way...

Cannot get private rent as cannot afford a deposit, and 99% won't accept DSS

You put internet access as a higher priority than food?

I think that's the going rate on benefits for a single person.

How do they manage. ?

That's less than a tenner a day. ! :o

I know i couldn't do it and i'd crap myself if faced with having to do so.

On that note i take my hat off to them, and whilst i hate pitying anyone, i do, it must be shear hell.

I wish I had £6 a week coming in, we are having to survive on NOTHING!

As much as its tough i think £60 a week is good for doing sweet FA. I was doing an apprenticeship working 40 hours a week only taking £95 a week. Many idle people i know have been on the Dole for over 4 years and dont look for work which baffles me.

Archived