How do you survive on £60 per week. ?

Just on a side note.

Why are benefits increased with the rate of inflation but wages aren’t …………. Those on benefits are seeing their “life style “maintained while the working man is seeing his being eroded ……… is that how the austerity measures are meant to work?

Well in all fairness, the minimum wage is always increasing, anything extra is up to the employer to decide on. Can't really do anything about that.

You won't be living the life of Riley, but it can be done.

What do you really need to spend a tenner a day on? You can live on that quite easily really, assuming rent and council tax are paid for you. I use the term 'easily' loosely.

I think like others,people are getting the words "living" and "existing" mixed up,from what Iv read on this forum it seems as though the unemployed are the lowest of the low on here.I admit there are some who know how to play the system and looking at some posters times of posting and regularity maybe some on here could give the others advice,on the other hand there are a lot more who would like to work but cannot find jobs,one of the reasons for this is they cannot afford bus fares to search for work or the simple luxury of a telephone for the same result.Those of you who do work should consider yourselves very fortunate but beware the way this government is going you may just be one of the many who suddenly finds they have to exist on less than £10 a day.Of course if you don't pay for your gas,electricity or even that luxury you call food I would think it just may be possible,and of course there is the old chestnut that the unemployed have no rights as far as enjoying themselves is there.

Well in all fairness, the minimum wage is always increasing, anything extra is up to the employer to decide on. Can't really do anything about that.

I wasn’t talking about the minimum wage, I was talking about benefits as the thread is about benefits …………

Interesting reading for any worker that is seeing a second year pay freeze.

September's consumer prices index (CPI) will be used to determine next April's rise in the basic state pension, piling pressure on the public purse but bringing some relief for hard-pressed pensioners.

Based on City forecasts for CPI of 4.9pc, the basic single state pension will increase by £5 to £107.15 a week, while the joint state pension will increase by £8 to £171.35.

Employment benefits, such as Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) and income support are also calculated using the September CPI rate, meaning the JSA could increase by £3.31 to £70.81 a week.

Next year's benefit rates are not formally unveiled until later this year and will be the first to be calculated using CPI rather than retail prices index (RPI) rate of inflation, which is expected to rise from 5.2pc to 5.4pc in September.

If the calculation was still based on RPI at 5.4pc, the single state pension would have been £107.67 and the joint one would have been £172.17.

Just on a side note.

Why are benefits increased with the rate of inflation but wages aren’t …………. Those on benefits are seeing their “life style “maintained while the working man is seeing his being eroded ……… is that how the austerity measures are meant to work?

Todays rate of Inflation has been quoted at 5.2% if that figure still holds next March will see the unemployed get a rise of £3 per week..lucky buggers or what ?.Iv just had a look see on Uswitch because I have been informed that my Gas and electricity prices have risen 19% and 16% respectively just think how much of that £3 a week rise the unemployed will be able to fritter away on these luxuries.

Archived