The hypocrisy of protesters and trespassers.

They live outside the Law in Ireland also the difference, or one of them anyway is that whereas our Government have granted them an ethnic status for whatever reasons, they have not received the same in their 'home' country and by and large are treated worse.

Not sure I agree that is true. I lived in Ireland for many years. I''m going back a few years, but what I saw was that there was a lot more vacant unused land (only about 2 million people live in rural Ireland) The travellers that stayed in an area tended to move sites quite frequently. There just isn't the need to fight over sites, because there will be another one nearby.

As a proportion of the population, there are a lot more of them over there. Where I grew up on the outskirts of Dublin, we frequently had itinerant families halting nearby. There were never any problems. They would graze their horses on the green spaces on the housing estates, then move on. Nobody seemed particularly bothered by their presence. Different traveller groups were usually identified by family names, and a minority of families had notorious repuatations, but the same can be said on housing estates.

It may be true they have more legal protections here, but they also have far more restrictions.

I don't know, but how relevant would it be anyway?

Very relevant. I thought this thread was about hypocrisy of the protesters. These protesters are far left anarchists, so it would be odd if they supported the traditional gender roles of the travellers.

By accepting and defending their way of life you have to accept their culture and that includes beating their women

In the traveller community, a girls social life alters drastically once she is married, she becomes the little woman indoors, the housewife. The protesters obviously approve of this. Fair enough.

By accepting and defending their way of life you have to accept their culture and that includes beating their women

Very relevant. I thought this thread was about hypocrisy of the protesters. These protesters are far left anarchists, so it would be odd if they supported the traditional gender roles of the travellers.

I don't think it follows that the protestors have to accept and approve of all aspects of the travellers lives.

That would be like suggesting that people who protest against capital punishment approve of rape, mutilation and murder.

'Traveller' is an ethnic identity, not a description of what they do.

And not recognised by their country of origin apparently,

Representatives from Irish NGOs underlined the government’s unwillingness to recognize the Irish travelers’ community as an ethnic minority.

And not recognised by their country of origin apparently,

Representatives from Irish NGOs underlined the government’s unwillingness to recognize the Irish travelers’ community as an ethnic minority.

I'm sure they'll be recognised eventually.

I don't think it follows that the protestors have to accept and approve of all aspects of the travellers lives.

That would be like suggesting that people who protest against capital punishment approve of rape, mutilation and murder.

I respect that response from you actualy. That is a good point.

Archived