The hypocrisy of protesters and trespassers.

@Donkey

Might it be that the short stay prevented any animosity building then? I don't know, my personal experience of them is minimal hence I have no real argument to kick them out. As i said before, i can understand ill feelings towards them but there is a case of being charged guilty without trial.

I scanned a few sites a few weeks back after watching the news just to get an idea of what travellers were about and one of the things that struck was the treatment in Ireland. According to the source in some areas they were seen as invaders moving from Northern to Southern Ireland and were subjected to a higher level of violence.

I don't think it follows that the protestors have to accept and approve of all aspects of the travellers lives.

That would be like suggesting that people who protest against capital punishment approve of rape, mutilation and murder.

Aye a decent answer, standing down :)

@Donkey

Might it be that the short stay prevented any animosity building then? I don't know, my personal experience of them is minimal hence I have no real argument to kick them out. As i said before, i can understand ill feelings towards them but there is a case of being charged guilty without trial.

I scanned a few sites a few weeks back after watching the news just to get an idea of what travellers were about and one of the things that struck was the treatment in Ireland. According to the source in some areas they were seen as invaders moving from Northern to Southern Ireland and were subjected to a higher level of violence.

Things must have changed. When I was last there, 15 years ago, travellers had a ferocious reputation. They weren't agressive, but it was said they never backed down from a fight or failed to avenge an attack. And a fight with a traveller family could become a battle with the extended clan. Even the guards were known to back down from confrontations with them.

Things must have changed. When I was last there, 15 years ago, travellers had a ferocious reputation. They weren't agressive, but it was said they never backed down from a fight or failed to avenge an attack. And a fight with a traveller family could become a battle with the extended clan. Even the guards were known to back down from confrontations with them.

And sometimes myth works in your favour eh!

It was refreshing to see the police not taking any messing about with the rentamob protesters this morning. The ones that were tasered by the police brought it all on themselves. These people will protest at anything and everything ,and just travel the country looking for a ruck with the police ,and this morning they bit off more than they could chew. I bet they wernt expecting the tasers coming out to play. :hihi:

And sometimes myth works in your favour eh!

Not entirely myth. The young lads are brought up to be fighters. Disputes among traveller men are are often settled by fights. There is no particular shame if you loose them all, but to back down would bring great dishonour.

The last time I was in the Northern General hospital a few years back there was a nasty family of gypsies that didn't understand the concept of WAITING THEIR TURN; they were loud, roudy and aggressive, demanding that their boy, who only had a cut finger, was treated immediatly ahead of everyone else. No one new where to look and were very intimidated by them.

Horrible people. Avoid them like the plague.

Im just watching the BBC News ,and they were saying the police and baliffs were trying to figure out how to get the scruffy portesters off the scaffolding so they can start clearing the site with the bulldozers .

The solution is simple. They have the heavy machinery ,bulldozers ,JCB`s on site ,so why dont they just start demolishing the scaffolding baracade with the machines ,and the protesters will soon start coming down when they are in danger of being crushed by a 20 tonne machine.

Archived