Friends with (only) mobile phones, what`s the etiquette ?

Here`s one I`m sure a few of us have been through.....

As part of our calls package for our land line we get "free" (of course they aren`t free, it`s just we pay for them with the package) calls to land lines, including 0845 and 0870, but excluding 0844, 0871, and, most significantly, mobile numbers. And phoning the latter, particularly for a chat, is horrendously expensive.

Now here`s the thing, one or two of my mates have only got mobiles, so they don`t have to pay the line rental (which grates a bit actually, they save the line rental and I have to pay through the nose to phone them), but the most interesting case is one who has a contract phone with a thousand "free" minutes per month on it, or something like that.

So, him phoning me is "free", me phoning him costs me a bomb.

The question is should he phone me rather then the other way around ?

Further, if I need to talk to him is it reasonable to phone him and ask him to phone me back ?

Give their mobile a quick ring but only let it ring a couple of times then hang up leaving a missed call on their phone..

They'll no doubt ring you back and when they do, just say "Oh sorry, I caught the button, but whilst your on".......... ;)

It will only work a few times though before they cotton on to what you're doing.. :D

Get rid of your landline, why does anyone need one these days (I have one actually as it would save me nothing with Virgin to ditch it as it's part of the tv/broadband/phone package which is cheaper than just tv+broadband).

I'm the same with virgin landline and I always jump out of my skin when it rings! Don't use it - and noone I know rings me on it - that's why I don't answer, figuring it's cold calling or debt collections!

In answer to OP's question - ring off your mobile in your own free minutes? Or agree with your mobile only friends that you will prank them and they call you back.. I had a friend who did this to me for years, at first it was OK, but it did seem a bit tight after a while!

I don't see the problem with them calling you back - I do it all the time. There's a rescue volunteer who phones my mobile from a landline, and I always interrupt her and offer to make the call instead

My mum always calls me as her call package on her mobile means she can phone me for free (she says), not even for inclusive minutes

Just ask if they've got free minutes they can call you back with

I'm the same with virgin landline and I always jump out of my skin when it rings! Don't use it - and noone I know rings me on it - that's why I don't answer, figuring it's cold calling or debt collections!

In answer to OP's question - ring off your mobile in your own free minutes? Or agree with your mobile only friends that you will prank them and they call you back.. I had a friend who did this to me for years, at first it was OK, but it did seem a bit tight after a while!

My dad calls it if I don't answer my mobile, but 9/10 times it's some marketing/survey or company from India who ignore the TPS. The 'Global PC Repair Department' called me about 1100 today.

Archived