Friends with (only) mobile phones, what`s the etiquette ?

I'm the same with virgin landline and I always jump out of my skin when it rings! Don't use it - and noone I know rings me on it - that's why I don't answer, figuring it's cold calling or debt collections!

Ha ha , yeah same here,mine rang the other night it took me ages to realise what it was.

Perhaps I wasn't clear, my friend has a pay as you go mobile no landline it costs her a fortune to ring my mobile so she gives me a missed call I ring her back as its free, so the ops friend could do the same, it's impossible to use the amount of free minutes a month with contract mobiles.

Get rid of your landline, why does anyone need one these days (I have one actually as it would save me nothing with Virgin to ditch it as it's part of the tv/broadband/phone package which is cheaper than just tv+broadband).

Well maybe we`re odd, but our friends, and especialy our familes, call us on our landline. If we want to catch up with your families (who live out of the area) we could easily be on for half and hour or more. I`ve got a contract mobile with 100 minutes, that wouldn`t last long using that, and my wife`s mobile is a pay as you go, which would cost a fortune to use.

Furthermore I find that the quality of the connection on mobiles can be a bit variable, more so than landlines.

And anyway, how much would it cost to phone France or New Zealand on a mobile ? We phone them regularly, not often, but regularly, on our land line package they`re included.

I can't believe you get free 0870 and not free 0844, since 0844 is supposidly the cheaper/newer 0845

This is a classic example of the confusion that these 08XX numbers cause.

As far as I`m aware, many call packages include 0845 and 0870, but none that we`ve been offered include 0844 or 0871. I got caught out by this because I originally thought 0871/0844 were the same as 0870/0844, but they`re not, and, being a cynic, I think it`s done on purpose to catch people out.......

Archived