Friends with (only) mobile phones, what`s the etiquette ?

Well maybe we`re odd, but our friends, and especialy our familes, call us on our landline.

They wouldn't though if you didn't have one, so that objection is circular.

If we want to catch up with your families (who live out of the area) we could easily be on for half and hour or more. I`ve got a contract mobile with 100 minutes, that wouldn`t last long using that, and my wife`s mobile is a pay as you go, which would cost a fortune to use.

If you added on the saving from your landline though you could get a mobile package with 1000's of minutes, which should be plenty for the occasional catch up... Depending on which network you might even be able to get some numbers entirely for free, I've got about 5 Orange magic numbers now, so I can call them without even using minutes!

Furthermore I find that the quality of the connection on mobiles can be a bit variable, more so than landlines.

True, but on the other hand I find them to be more mobile.

And anyway, how much would it cost to phone France or New Zealand on a mobile ? We phone them regularly, not often, but regularly, on our land line package they`re included.

That might be the deal breaker, I wouldn't ever call someone abroad on a mobile unless I'm already abroad and need to make a call to the same country, still might be worth checking though, you can get packages to call abroad cheap even with a mobile.

So, it seems we`re in agreement that it`s perfectly acceptable to expect your mate to phone you using his mobile`s "free" minutes rather you phoning him at great expense from your landline.

Further, it`s acceptable to phone him and ask him to phone you back.

Or have I misunderstood what people are saying on here ?

So, it seems we`re in agreement that it`s perfectly acceptable to expect your mate to phone you using his mobile`s "free" minutes rather you phoning him at great expense from your landline.

Further, it`s acceptable to phone him and ask him to phone you back.

Or have I misunderstood what people are saying on here ?

I think it would depend on how many of their free minutes they use in a month. If for example they always have loads left then yes it is acceptable. If however they tend to go over their allowance then any calls they make to you would also be prohibitively expensive. In such a case you should take turns.

jb

I think it would depend on how many of their free minutes they use in a month. If for example they always have loads left then yes it is acceptable. If however they tend to go over their allowance then any calls they make to you would also be prohibitively expensive. In such a case you should take turns.

jb

So how do you find out ?

I can only speak form my personal experience but I generally only use about 15 minutes of my 100 minute mobile phone contract allowance. In fact I was going to swap to a "pay as you go" a few years back till they cut my subscription from £15 a month to £5 a month ! It`d probably still be a bit cheaper with a "pay as you go", but I find it less stressful to know I`ve always got credit on my phone.

What about phoning them via Skype, download it to your computer or if you have a smartphone download the app to your handset, connect via wifi, surely Skype to mobile must be cheaper than landline to mobile.

Why does life have to get so complicated ?

Does anyone else hanker after a simpler age ?

I know I sometimes do*.......

* Particularly as more and more companies don`t want to talk to their customers, directing them through endless phone menus, or, even worse, voice activated responses. I never use them. I`m not talking to a bleedin` computer, sod that. It`s the principle of the thing. I just swear at them till they do what they should have done in the first place, i.e. get one human being to talk to another human being.

Why does life have to get so complicated ?

Does anyone else hanker after a simpler age ?

I know I sometimes do*.......

* Particularly as more and more companies don`t want to talk to their customers, directing them through endless phone menus, or, even worse, voice activated responses. I never use them. I`m not talking to a bleedin` computer, sod that. It`s the principle of the thing. I just swear at them till they do what they should have done in the first place, i.e. get one human being to talk to another human being.

Or just stop moaning and pick up the landline.

Archived