Popular Toys you remember as a kid..

grinder

I had a silver tent in the back yard....apparently made from surplus barrage balloon material. That was my den and I loved being in it eating bananas and custard.

Can't remember my own toys so much as pals and cousins ones...ie. Spirograph, Fuzzy Felt, Mr Potato Head, Plastic Embedding.......I don't think theres anything on the market these days that actually encourage imagination is there. It's all got to be "as is", done for them already as it were.

i remember as a kid a game which i cant remember what it was called only that it had robot in its title, it was a board game with a mirrored circle on one side and a plastiv round cirvle with a slot in it around the mirrored side there were questions and you placed the robot on it and point it to a question then put it n the other side and it would sing round and give you the right answer, i may have got it the wrong way round but as a kid i would pend hours trying to find out how it worked

Spirograph, now there's something I haven't heard of in a while, I used to spend hours playing with that.

My brother had one of those diver things too. I had a "Tressy" doll, does anyone remember her a forerunner to Barbie you could make her hair grow by pulling it then pressed a button in her back to wind it back in and start all over again, she was the same size as a Barbie.

After Tressy came Cindy who I always thought was better than Barbie, not as flash. My brother Eagle Eye Action Man became her boyfriend.

I had one of these fabulous early 70s Spirographs bought from a jumble sale. Loved it. The latest incarnations are rather disappointing.

I had a Tressy too. Mine was a blonde with a large hole in her head out of which sprouted a long mane of nylon hair that you had to yank at to make it grow. Quite disturbing.

I was a Sindy fanatic too. My mum bought me lots of second-hand 70s Sindy furniture (lovely bright orange toilet, bath and working shower, and yellow kitchen cabinets!), plus Sindy's horse, swimming pool and other charming mini-consumer accessories. She had a fantastic range of clothes, too: long faux-fur coats, little black dresses, jeans and even little bras and knickers. Sadly, most girls' toys seem to only come in various shades of pink, these days.

Anyone remember any of these? :D

What about the two snooker ball type things on strings - clackers responsible for many a broken wrist. I was quite good with those.

There was also a long corrugated plastic tube that you swirled around that made a noise like a giant clanger. Give one of those to a child today and they would think you were crazy.

My grandaughters have Mr Potato Head and Fuzzy Felt, they also have lego which they love.

They have brilliant imaginations, recently we sat listening as they played with their dolls house, each of them voicing different dolls and it was hilarious.

So that's good then and they should never utter the words "I'm bored".....they'll just use their imaginations.:thumbsup:

I used to make caravans out of Farleys Rusk boxes....they were just the right shape and then me and my brother used to put string between two paper cups and talk to each other :huh: don't ask me how it worked though......

It is very rare to hear them say I'm bored, even during school holidays, my daughter organises something for them to do each day all together, her and the three girls, and me sometimes, maybe the early £1 cinema at Meadowhall if it is raining, if it is fine it's the park or a long walk with the dogs and things like that and after that they play really well togehter, she has a box of empty boxes and toliet roll things and they make things. But the older two are quite avid readers too and will spend ages with their noses in books, the eldest who is 8 is discovering the delights of Enid Blyton's famous five and secret seven which I loved as a child.

I had a silver tent in the back yard....apparently made from surplus barrage balloon material. That was my den and I loved being in it eating bananas and custard.

Can't remember my own toys so much as pals and cousins ones...ie. Spirograph, Fuzzy Felt, Mr Potato Head, Plastic Embedding.......I don't think theres anything on the market these days that actually encourage imagination is there. It's all got to be "as is", done for them already as it were.

Mr Potato Head has withstood the test of time. Bought one for my 3 year old granddaughter and it's turned out to be one of her favorite toys.

Archived