Popular Toys you remember as a kid..

grinder

As a kid guns featured strongly in the games I played in my bed room, every lad back then seemed to get a cowboy six shooter with caps for Christmas, there was also a shot gun that you opened and shut to load a very strong spring for two barrels.

It was supposed to shoot corks which were soon lost but it did the job with small stones just as well,

Artillery that shot match stick. a bow with arrows which had a rubber stickers on the end..

There also used to be some shooting games that had a wire gun that shot small wooden bobbins ..

When you look back Health and safety would have had a birthday....:roll:

French skipping when you would tie a length of elastic in to a loop and two of you would stand inside it and the third would stand between you and jump on the elastic. It sounds quite boring now but it was actually good fun and a good form of exercise. One thing I could never master was the handstand:D

My sister had a Bayko set and I had a Betta Builder (now that WAS more like early Lego)- it had plastic interlocking roof tiles that were a pig to get apart. They made your fingers really sore!

We used to play Jacks on the lino for hours but I could never master the Stinks part (I'm not from Sheffield so perhaps you called it something different: it was the bit after you'd completed the bouncy bit up to five but before you did the double bouncy bit).

I had a Tressy too - such lifelike hair (not!). I can distinctly remember the Christmas I got it: I was so thrilled!

Ah, happy times!

I had a Bayko set too. H & S would have a field day today because of all those steel rods :roll:

Chemistry Set - lots of powders and test tubes, a meths burner to heat it all up and instructions on how to make smells, invisible ink and small popping explosions in test tubes, great stuff.

Couldn't happen now, H&S would go into meltdown risk assessing it.

We used to play a lot more board games than kids do now and I remember loads of fads that ended up being banned because they ended up being really dangerous, like pogo sticks and these things that were 2 balls on a piece of string that was joined at the top. The idea was to knock them together and swing them round. I can't remember what they were called but I know several kids ended up with broken wrists :roll:

We used to play a lot more board games than kids do now and I remember loads of fads that ended up being banned because they ended up being really dangerous, like pogo sticks and these things that were 2 balls on a piece of string that was joined at the top. The idea was to knock them together and swing them round. I can't remember what they were called but I know several kids ended up with broken wrists :roll:

They were called clackers and you were right they did cause few broken wrists. This was fad in eighties when my niece was a child There was also speed ball which consisted of two long pieces of thick twine with handle at each end and they went through middle of very hard plastic ball and the idea was to shoot the ball as fast as you could to your opponents end. If you weren't quick enough to send it back it didn't half hurt your knuckles. :hihi::hihi:

When I was a child it was board games such as cluedo, monopoly and totopoly

I had a succession of model planes from rubber band powered sleek streak and progressing on to building my own gliders and con line combat planes. Bench running in PAW engines in the garage must have been the noisiest activity known to man.

Board games. Colditz, Mouse Trap, Risk, Scrabble and Christmas wasn't Christmas without a marathon game of monopoly.

Archived