Overtaking a Hearse

It is about morals and decency; what is moral and decent I suppose is a subjective matter, so asking me why is a bit of a waste of time as I'm only giving you my opinion.

True, it is your opinion. And in your opinion I and many others are a "lost cause" because we don't agree with you.

I see. So basically the answer is "Just cos".

It was a pretty simply question. I don't see why anyone would refuse to answer it unless they don't have an aswer.

No, the answer is as I stated it.

Respect, for yourself and for the dead person and their loved ones.

You demean yourself by acting like a fool.

Slightly off topic, but i have to share this.....I was in a funeral cortège once, and as we were slowly driving towards the Crematorium, a group of huddies who were on BMX type bikes saw us approaching (they were coming towards us but on the path).... as we got to them, all of them stopped their bikes and got off, and stood still till we had passed, i was amazed......it just shows, you should never judge a book by its cover

A hearse containing a coffin on their way to the crematorium or church will drive slowly for the last few hundred yards on the approach to the funeral venue with vehicles containing the breaved relatives and friends following behind. This is as mark of respect and is a tradition which is repected by all decent and caring members of our society.

Slightly off topic, but i have to share this.....I was in a funeral cortège once, and as we were slowly driving towards the Crematorium, a group of huddies who were on BMX type bikes saw us approaching (they were coming towards us but on the path).... as we got to them, all of them stopped their bikes and got off, and stood still till we had passed, i was amazed......it just shows, you should never judge a book by its cover

Why did it surprise you?

Directly passing the hearse and/or deliberatly getting yourself in between the hearse and the vehicle containing the family of the deceased would be considered crass and insensitive by most people.

I agree with this bit on the grounds that cutting directly in front of anyone and forcing them to slow down is bad driving, but overtaking a funeral precession safely and in its entirety isn’t insensitive, it’s called making progress and hopefully makes the roads a safer place.

A hearse containing a coffin on their way to the crematorium or church will drive slowly for the last few hundred yards on the approach to the funeral venue with vehicles containing the breaved relatives and friends following behind. This is as mark of respect and is a tradition which is repected by all decent and caring members of our society.

They travel at between 15 and 20 mph for 7 miles to get to the crematorium from my town and most of the cars will overtake if it’s safe. The tail back if they didn’t would be huge and take hours to clear.

Archived