Overtaking a Hearse

Not so.

If you would care to read my post - carefully this time - you will realise your mistake.

This is as mark of respect and is a tradition which is repected by all decent and caring members of our society.

So in your opinion anyone who doesn't observe this tradition can't be a decent and caring member of our society, unless your statement is incorrect.

Maybe you meant to say.

This is as mark of respect and is a tradition which is repected by many people.

If you, and some others on here dont know the answer, then no ammount of explanation will do any good.

It is called respect, for yourself, and your fellow man.

If you dont have that, then you are a lost cause.

So why is disrespectful to overtake a hearse but not say a Reliant Robin?

What is it exactly that the occupants of the hearse and any cars following in the cortège are going to be peed off about?

Surely they are disrespecting me by causing me to reach my destination later than I want? Surely the occupant of the coffin, if they could speak, would say life is precious and shouldn't be wasted sitting in a queue of traffic behind a rotting corpse?

jb

This forum is the most depressing place to be sometimes. It's just so sad that there are so many people who lack basic morals and decency

Which morals and why is it indecent?

... and are in such a hurry to get to where they're going that they can't hang back and let a funeral procession proceed in a dignified way without screaming past them.

Who said anything about screaming past? Would you be similarly upset about oncoming traffic travelling at the speed limit or should they also slow to a crawl as they pass? If not WHY not?

... And think it's clever to do so and to mock people

Where's the mockery?

... who still do have a bit of consideration for people who are probably going through one of the worst days of their lives.

Where's the inconsideration? If they are so hung up on grief they are hardly likely to notice a car passing them. I have been in several funeral cortèges

and never been offended by passing cars.

jb

Many funerals here involve long lines of cars belonging to relatives and friends moving below the speed limit. They are identified by flags on the antennas. If the route includes two lanes, it is OK to pass.

Then you're in disagreement with sultrymaiden. Perhaps you two can come to some consensus of opinion.

Id never overtake a hearse. In fact ive been known to slow down for one in the left hand lane and hold up all the traffic behind me in the right hand lane just so i dont overtake:hihi:

But if not, it is courtesy to stay behind the line, because forcing into the line can leave some cars out of sight of the line and unable to find out where to go. In general, people are very considerate, and will wait at a light, if it has changed red, to let the procession continue.

No ones talking about cutting into the cortège.

jb

So why is disrespectful to overtake a hearse but not say a Reliant Robin?

What is it exactly that the occupants of the hearse and any cars following in the cortège are going to be peed off about?

Surely they are disrespecting me by causing me to reach my destination later than I want? Surely the occupant of the coffin, if they could speak, would say life is precious and shouldn't be wasted sitting in a queue of traffic behind a rotting corpse?

jb

Says it all really doesn't it...

So you assume just because someone legally and safely overtakes a funeral procession they lack morals and decency.

I think you would change your mind if someone you loved died because the fire engine took 60 seconds longer than necessary to get to you, just because it was stuck behind a 1000 car traffic jam.

I can assure you that the procession would pull to one side and stop to allow emergency vehicles to pass. That is the way of things here, as I am sure they are in UK. My last visit to the UK was to my brother's funeral in Truro, after a fairly long procession from Liskeard in Cornwall. We met nothing but courtesy and respect all the way. Ther same route was taken in 1984 following my mother's death, with the same consideration.

I can assure you that the procession would pull to one side and stop to allow emergency vehicles to pass. That is the way of things here, as I am sure they are in UK. My last visit to the UK was to my brother's funeral in Truro, after a fairly long procession from Liskeard in Cornwall. We met nothing but courtesy and respect all the way. Ther same route was taken in 1984 following my mother's death, with the same consideration.

How would the lead driver of a funeral precession know an emergency vehicle was behind them if there are another 1000 cars behind the funeral precession? There would be no where for that many cars to move out of the way. Thankfully most drivers are sensible and overtake when it is safe so traffic jam that large is unlikely to happen, but it would happen if everyone refused to overtake. The 7 mile journey I have travelled in many funeral precessions takes 30-35 minutes and thousands of cars travel that rout every hour, thankfully most of them appear to be sensible when it come to dealing with funeral and emergency vehicles.

Then there is the possibility of someone transporting someone to hospital that needs urgent care, how would they overtake that many cars, whereas it is relatively easy to overtake the funeral precession when everyone else overtakes.

Archived