Overtaking a Hearse

This forum is the most depressing place to be sometimes. It's just so sad that there are so many people who lack basic morals and decency and are in such a hurry to get to where they're going that they can't hang back and let a funeral procession proceed in a dignified way without screaming past them. And think it's clever to do so and to mock people who still do have a bit of consideration for people who are probably going through one of the worst days of their lives.

I fail to understand why I lack morals and decency to arrive at my place of work in time to perform my job. As I stated in my case (for which I have been accused of being a wind-up merchant), I used to overtake the cortege on a dual carriageway, which is designed for overtaking. It also has a 40mph limit, and the cortege would be travelling at 15-20mph, so it was hardly necessary to 'scream past'.

If you had an appointment and you were seen 10, 15, 20 minutes late because your doctor/nurse/physio had been held up by a funeral cortege, would you be happy about it? This would then have the knock on effect of every appointment running late.

I fail to understand why I lack morals and decency to arrive at my place of work in time to perform my job. As I stated in my case (for which I have been accused of being a wind-up merchant), I used to overtake the cortege on a dual carriageway, which is designed for overtaking. It also has a 40mph limit, and the cortege would be travelling at 15-20mph, so it was hardly necessary to 'scream past'.If you had an appointment and you were seen 10, 15, 20 minutes late because your doctor/nurse/physio had been held up by a funeral cortege, would you be happy about it? This would then have the knock on effect of every appointment running late.

That is different.

How would the lead driver of a funeral precession know an emergency vehicle was behind them if there are another 1000 cars behind the funeral precession? There would be no where for that many cars to move out of the way. Thankfully most drivers are sensible and overtake when it is safe so traffic jam that large is unlikely to happen, but it would happen if everyone refused to overtake. The 7 mile journey I have travelled in many funeral precessions takes 30-35 minutes and thousands of cars travel that rout every hour, thankfully most of them appear to be sensible when it come to dealing with funeral and emergency vehicles.

Then there is the possibility of someone transporting someone to hospital that needs urgent care, how would they overtake that many cars, whereas it is relatively easy to overtake the funeral precession when everyone else overtakes.

I have never been in a 1000 car procession. I don't know anyone in my circle who would rank 1000 cars either. So I can only talk about my own experiences at the most probably 20 cars. The biggest processions that occur are about dead police officers, firemen, or military personnel with hundreds of cars, and it is obvious nobody of any common sense is going to interfere with them. The other massive funerals are for Harley riders, who die in ever increasing numbers, usually because some oaf in a car can't see them. It is not considered prudent to interfere with them either.

I have never been in a 1000 car procession. I don't know anyone in my circle who would rank 1000 cars either. So I can only talk about my own experiences at the most probably 20 cars. The biggest processions that occur are about dead police officers, firemen, or military personnel with hundreds of cars, and it is obvious nobody of any common sense is going to interfere with them. The other massive funerals are for Harley riders, who die in ever increasing numbers, usually because some oaf in a car can't see them. It is not considered prudent to interfere with them either.

another 1000 cars behind the funeral precession?
Not a thousand cars in the funeral precession

Fortunately it is unlikely to happen because most people act sensibly and overtake when it is safe.

People don't seem to be getting the point. Of course if someone is flashimg their lights, beeping their horn or driving up the arse of the procession, then that is totally out of order and just not needed. But there is nothing wrong with over taking in a safe and friendly manner when you are able to do so.

People don't seem to be getting the point. Of course if someone is flashing their lights, beeping their horn or driving up the arse of the procession, then that is totally out of order and just not needed. But there is nothing wrong with over taking in a safe and friendly manner when you are able to do so.

As the OP, i agree with this entirely, my post was about the van tailgating the procession and shouting from his vehicle, and getting angry at the procession and making it very evident he was P...ed off because he was getting held up..

Sadly this behaviour is the way of a lot of drivers today..:(

Archived