Overtaking a Hearse

I think you're having a good go at describing a few technical situations where overtaking a funeral cortege may be acceptable. But the vast majority of times the cortege will not be causing an obstruction to emergency services or people on other urgent business. The vast majority of times people should just slow down or wait and show some respect. No rational person would argue that wasn't the right thing to do if they were not in a rush to be somewhere.

I’m explaining why a driver shouldn’t intentionally obstruct other road uses and why we have laws that make it a driving offence. In the situation SultryMaiden described it wasn’t the funeral precession that was causing the obstruction it was her unwillingness to move over or overtake that caused the obstruction which is a driving offence.

I think you're having a good go at describing a few technical situations where overtaking a funeral cortege may be acceptable. But the vast majority of times the cortege will not be causing an obstruction to emergency services or people on other urgent business. The vast majority of times people should just slow down or wait and show some respect. No rational person would argue that wasn't the right thing to do if they were not in a rush to be somewhere.

The point is that they shouldn't the law doesn't require it; if it can be overtaken safely it should be, if we weren’t meant to there would be a law saying we shouldn't. It’s generally not the funeral cars that cause the obstruction it’s the drivers who wrongfully assume they shouldn't overtake.

The point is that they shouldn't the law doesn't require it; if it can be overtaken safely it should be, if we weren’t meant to there would be a law saying we shouldn't. It’s generally not the funeral cars that cause the obstruction it’s the drivers who wrongfully assume they shouldn't overtake.

Yes we know it's not illegal. That is not the point.

Yes we know it's not illegal. That is not the point.

But wilful obstruction is and that’s why drivers that don't wont to overtake should get out of the way of those drivers that want to make reasonable progress within the law.

But wilful obstruction is and that’s why drivers that don't wont to overtake should get out of the way of those drivers that want to make reasonable progress within the law.

So you would interpret showing respect for a funeral cortege as wilful obstruction of traffic?

Good luck with that. I'm finished with this now because you're just trolling as far as I can see.

I'm that prat that you all hate driving, age of 20 and I like to have my stereo fairly loud, purely 'cos I like my music. However, I always make a point of turning it off when I see a funeral convoy go by, infront or whatever. The last thing you want on the day of a funeral is motorists thinking the death of someone is an inconveniance to them.

So you would interpret showing respect for a funeral cortege as wilful obstruction of traffic?

Good luck with that. I'm finished with this now because you're just trolling as far as I can see.

If you are intentionally obstructing other road users then yes I would, and I am being serious.

It would distress me if I found out that my unwillingness to overtake something safely resulted in a tail back that prevented another vehicle from overtaking in an emergency.

I was mortified the other week when I somehow managed to get in between the hearse and the limo's following behind. I had to carry on like that for a good couple hundred yards, until i had the opportunity to pull into a side road to let the rest of the limo's past. How embarrassing!

Archived