Overtaking a Hearse

I think you're having a good go at describing a few technical situations where overtaking a funeral cortege may be acceptable. But the vast majority of times the cortege will not be causing an obstruction to emergency services or people on other urgent business. The vast majority of times people should just slow down or wait and show some respect. No rational person would argue that wasn't the right thing to do if they were not in a rush to be somewhere.

I used to come across a funeral cortege frequently on my way between places of work (as thr direct route passed the crematorium). Now the crem is on a dual carriageway, and as the travelling time I was allowed was the absolute minimum to get between locations, I used to overtake the cortege.

I respect the fact that someone has lost a loved one, but, without wanting to sound harsh, life goes on: the people waiting at the other end aren't interested in how and why you get somewhere, just that they get seen on time...

I used to come across a funeral cortege frequently on my way between places of work (as thr direct route passed the crematorium). Now the crem is on a dual carriageway, and as the travelling time I was allowed was the absolute minimum to get between locations, I used to overtake the cortege.

I respect the fact that someone has lost a loved one, but, without wanting to sound harsh, life goes on: the people waiting at the other end aren't interested in how and why you get somewhere, just that they get seen on time...

For your own self respect you should respect others.

For your own self respect you should respect others.

Why is overtaking a hearse in the situation I described not showing respect? By getting to my next place of work on time I'm showing respect for the people who have attended for their appointment. Who should take priority?

Archived