Ricky Gervais and the 'm' word

So Ricky Gervais has got himself into a bit of tangle over his use of the word 'mong' - a word which most people recognise as an offensive word for a disabled person, specifically those with Downs Syndrome.

He's been criticised almost across the board, by other comedians, the press, and charities who support the disabled who have pointed out that this is an offensive and hurtful word. Even more so when he pulls 'mong' faces and posts them on twitter.

His response has been pathetic. He claims that its not an offensive word any more (despite almost every definition saying it is), and that anyone who criticises him is just jealous or a humourless PC idiot.

He's a clever and funny man, but rather than deny he's done anything wrong, he'd be better off apologising, and saying he didn't realise it still caused offence.

Playing the 'PC' card is something we expect of rightwingers like Littlejohn and Melanie Phillips, who use it to shut down debate whenever they are criticised and have no response - its a shame to see Gervais resorting to it.

Links

Telegraph

Guardian

I used to use 'mong' in the context of relaxing and relative inactivity. I hadn't heard it in its true context until a few years ago and was horrified that I may have been causing offence for so long (I no longer use it). I find it shocking that he accompanied it with facial expressions, he obviously knew the connotations but carried on regardless. I think his use of it and his defence of it is in particularly bad taste and not funny at all.

It could be a generational thing, as this was a popular term of abuse when I was a kid, and he is a few years older than me... Over the years it was also used in ref to 'monging' as in 'monging in front of the tv' - but this was still abusive, as it referred to people doing something that required no interlect, as it was assumed 'mongs' or mentally disabled people, were not intelligent people... I have always known it was offensive - it was offensive in the 70's and it remains offensive today - It's just that kids don't care when they offend people, so terms such as this are bandied around the playground every school day... Comedians often do not care who they offend either - It's the fact they sail close to wind, occasionally getting told off, that makes them funny for their fan base... It's up to us all who we find funny, and we have to accept them warts and all - If you don't find him funny, it's all good, as you don't have to watch him!

If his aim is to get people talking about him then it's working, isn't it?

If, however, he wants people to watch his shows or buy his books then he's going to be sadly disappointed if all of the people who are genuinely offended that he would mock people for conditions that they cannot change follow through what their conscience says and turn off their TV any time he appears and refuse to put their hands in their pockets to buy anything with which is is associated.

I'm afraid that this is reminiscent of the<removed> form of sexism and sexual harassment in the workplace, which is now seen (rightly) as inappropriate, and I'm offended on the behalf of the people he sees fit to insult as a form of entertainment.

If his aim is to get people talking about him then it's working, isn't it?

If, however, he wants people to watch his shows or buy his books then he's going to be sadly disappointed if all of the people who are genuinely offended that he would mock people for conditions that they cannot change follow through what their conscience says and turn off their TV any time he appears and refuse to put their hands in their pockets to buy anything with which is is associated.

I'm afraid that this is reminiscent of the <removed> form of sexism and sexual harassment in the workplace, which is now seen (rightly) as inappropriate, and I'm offended on the behalf of the people he sees fit to insult as a form of entertainment.

Masked swearing.

Archived