Spoon Cafe/Bistro Abbey lane S8

DumDom

Wondered if anyone else felt dissapointed by this latest addition to Woodseats cafes.

Me and my other half went last week, having looked at the menu online we thought, Oh well its a bit pricier than other cafes in the area but we'll give it a go.

I have to say it is a remarkable transformation inside 10 out of 10 for that, however....

I decided to go for the homemade fish finger sandwich with chips, and other half had soup.

Soup was very nice, very tasty, but half a slice of chunky bread is not really enough, not when you've paid £4.95 for the privilige.

Fish finger sandwich, well for a start it had been microwaved (having worked in a cafe for many years I know when its microwaved and when it isn't) and as Gordon Ramsey says" if it is piping hot throuout its a sure sign it microwaved". I asked for chips at an extra £1 got 10 of them, bit peed off with that 10p per chip COME ON, and when it said it came with peas and homemade Tommy K, I expected it on the plate ,not in the sandwich ! ! ! give punters the option if nothing else.

Overall not hugely impressed, although 10 out of 10 for nice tea and coffee, so would go back for tea and probably cakes.

Would have liked to have seen the bistro menu on line or in Cafe but none seen.

When it is competing with the likes of Bishops House Cafe Bistro and S17 at Bradway it will have to seriously up the ante, as we have been to both and they are a lot better.

Went there with my wife last week. We were actually planning to have a breakie at seashells which is obviously no longer there. I was really impressed, great breakfast and good filter coffee. More expensive than seashells but just as good in terms of value because the food and surroundings are better quality. Looking forward to trying out the evening menu.

Think they've found a good little niche myself, most of the cafes in Woodseats are more greasy spoon, which I also love, think Woodseats has been lacking a quality cafe for a while.

The bistro menu is the evening menu and it's on the website and available in the cafe if you ask, it's also stuck to the window if you want to have a look without going in.

Really impressed with the service, the guy I'm presuming was the owner went out of his way to help.

Sounds like I had a better experience than you Dum Dom, guess anywhere has it's good and bad days!

Be interested. Don`t really see those 2 as competition as they`re miles away. Menu looked ok. Is it licensed or byob?

For the Bistro nights I think they would be trying for the same customers, as they are all a 5 min drive or taxi away from each other.

The other two change menus every bistro night Spoon appears to be the same each night, presuming so as no date on the menu online.

Took my son for breakfast 5 days after it opened, was looking forward to 'devilled kidneys', was told they were'nt selling very well so taken off the menu! (opened 5 days and they WERE still on the menu). My son had a breakfast at 4 quid something, 1 scrambled egg, 1 rasher of bacon, 1 sauasage, was given mushrooms (when he should have been offered beans, he wasn't,he doesn't like mushrooms!) and the 'hash brown' appeared to be a left over rosti from the evening menu. My poached egg with smoked haddock at six quid odd failed in the most obvious manner, the egg should be soft poached so the yoke runs, this was (very) hard. All in all a bit pony, never mind thers plenty of other places to get a decent breakfast, won't be risking the evening menu!

• 3 weeks later...
Took my son for breakfast 5 days after it opened, was looking forward to 'devilled kidneys', was told they were'nt selling very well so taken off the menu! (opened 5 days and they WERE still on the menu). My son had a breakfast at 4 quid something, 1 scrambled egg, 1 rasher of bacon, 1 sauasage, was given mushrooms (when he should have been offered beans, he wasn't,he doesn't like mushrooms!) and the 'hash brown' appeared to be a left over rosti from the evening menu. My poached egg with smoked haddock at six quid odd failed in the most obvious manner, the egg should be soft poached so the yoke runs, this was (very) hard. All in all a bit pony, never mind thers plenty of other places to get a decent breakfast, won't be risking the evening menu!

If it's a first class breakfast your after Beef, then the only place around here your going to get one is up Derbyshire Lane, Zoes Kitchen, by far the best full english in Sheffield. Top quality produce cooked to perfection.

I have eaten there loads of time and have never been let down.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

NakatomiNick

Thought we would try spoons for a breakfast sandwich and what a disappointment. Paid 3.60 for a best sandwich minus the toms. Two sausages two bacon and a burnt fried egg!! Your excuse you was rushed!!! There was only me and a couple in your establishment. Not a good first impression which is shame because it's lovely inside. I would prefer my money back not another sandwich.

Archived