What has religion done for women.

I can't think of anything and heard someone on the radio ask the same question.

Thought I would ask on here.

Can you give me any examples of religion doing positive things for women? Have any of the religions helped women fight for equality or the vote for instance?

I don't know of any religions which support a woman's right to have an abortion.

Any examples?

I'm not sure religion is meant to do any of those sort of things anyway. Isn't religion meant to get you closer to god or something, make you all at peace 'n stuff, spiritual like?

It doesn't seem to mind/telling people how they should live and what they shouldn't be doing.

For instance the Catholic tells it's followers not to use contraception. Surely telling your followers to let women vote for instance wouldn't be too difficult if it had the will.

I can't think of anything and heard someone on the radio ask the same question.

Thought I would ask on here.

Can you give me any examples of religion doing positive things for women? Have any of the religions helped women fight for equality or the vote for instance?

I don't know of any religions which support a woman's right to have an abortion.

Any examples?

Islam does support the right to have a termination, such as in the case of risk to the mother if the pregnancy continues. Of course it's preferred not to, but if it's necessary to save the mother, it's the lesser of the two evils.

As for equality, yes, again, Qur'anic Islam does give rights to women. In Quranic (as opposed to 'Cultural') Islam, women are given the right to vote, to own property, to conduct business, to be educated, to reject an unsuitable marriage partner. ( in fact, in the 7th century, when the scriptures were being revealed, these rights were conferred on women, when, a thousand years later, in the west, the debate was still going on about whether women, and the black man had souls, were worthy of salvation)

In Islam, there was a Garden of Eden, but there was no serpent, no 'apple', and no original sin.

We have the same obligations as men, in that both sexes are expected to dress modestly, make our five daily prayers, to pay our charity ("zakat") to keep the Ramadhan fast (health permitting), and to go on Hajj (pilgrimage to Mecca, subject to our health and finances permitting)

( in fact, in the 7th century, when the scriptures were being revealed, these rights were conferred on women, when, a thousand years later, in the west, the debate was still going on about whether women, and the black man had souls, were worthy of salvation)

and about 1500 years before that Spartan women (and women in many other cultures) following various "pagan" religions had those rights too.

Islam does support the right to have a termination, such as in the case of risk to the mother if the pregnancy continues. Of course it's preferred not to, but if it's necessary to save the mother, it's the lesser of the two evils.

As for equality, yes, again, Qur'anic Islam does give rights to women. In Quranic (as opposed to 'Cultural') Islam, women are given the right to vote, to own property, to conduct business, to be educated, to reject an unsuitable marriage partner. ( in fact, in the 7th century, when the scriptures were being revealed, these rights were conferred on women, when, a thousand years later, in the west, the debate was still going on about whether women, and the black man had souls, were worthy of salvation)

In Islam, there was a Garden of Eden, but there was no serpent, no 'apple', and no original sin.

We have the same obligations as men, in that both sexes are expected to dress modestly, make our five daily prayers, to pay our charity ("zakat") to keep the Ramadhan fast (health permitting), and to go on Hajj (pilgrimage to Mecca, subject to our health and finances permitting)

So the books aren't being adhered to in many countries that say Islam is their main religion?

How can you have cultural and Quranic? Surely it should all be Quranic?

Thanks for the input Plain. The bit about child termination is interesting. What would happen in cases like rape?

I'm not sure religion is meant to do any of those sort of things anyway.

For the most part that's right, one of the things that's been holding back humanity for centuries since the rise of Christianity (as well as its spin-off Islam) is the idea that this life is merely a preparation for an eternal afterlife. And consequently, that making this world better is not anywhere near as big a priority as preparing yourself for the next one.

Also, within Christianity especially, there is a bizarre and rather sinister cult of suffering, perpetuated by the catholic church right up into modern day, that somehow, having lots of people suffering is good and holy. For a recent example, see Mother Teresa, who glorified the suffering of the poor, even though she was in a position to do massive amounts of good and alleviate some of that suffering. She spent the millions she acquired for the catholic church in donations from all over the world on convents instead of hospitals, trying to spread the faith to prepare people for the next world instead of alleviating suffering in this one.

I think Tony phrased it wrong, the important thing is the woman's right to choose what she does with her own body, which most definitely is not held up by Islam or Christianity.

in fact, in the 7th century, when the scriptures were being revealed, these rights were conferred on women, when, a thousand years later, in the west, the debate was still going on about whether women, and the black man had souls, were worthy of salvation)

That's rather a moot point. As you say, this was right at the dawn of Islam, the conditions into which it was introduced, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that Islam is what inspired those societies to improve the lot of women.

Archived