What has religion done for women.

"for the first decade after the revolution there was no family planning programme, as the authorities enforced Islamic laws and the interpretation or misinterpretation then was that Islam did not encourage people to practise family planning." - from the article.

So it was religious law - or the interpretation of religion - that prevented people from using contraception. Hardly a positive.

It isn't religion that is responsible for the family planning. It's science and reason that is responsible for the family planning.

True. But for the scheme to work the religious state had to support the scheme. That's a positive, yes?

The little I know about Iran is not good. However I heard about this on news night last night and thought it was a positive thing. A positive step regardless of motive. Other than that I think you are right.

Correct. I know quite a few Iranians who have fled post-revolution. My sister-in-law also lived there for 3 years (which is not a lie contrary to accusations made on here from certain quarters). She lived in Tehran and met not a single woman who is happy with the regime, in fact it is pretty much systematically hated.:mad:

Correct. I know quite a few Iranians who have fled post-revolution. My sister-in-law also lived there for 3 years (which is not a lie contrary to accusations made on here from certain quarters). She lived in Tehran and met not a single woman who is happy with the regime, in fact it is pretty much systematically hated.:mad:

Shouldn't let that worry you a certain member seems to have had his cover blown now that people are fed up with his irrational conduct.

Shouldn't let that worry you a certain member seems to have had his cover blown now that people are fed up with his irrational conduct.

It doesn't worry me, if people can't put together a coherent argument and must instead resort to childish accusations of being a liar, Islamaphobe, racist, stupid or whatever, then they are showing their own inadequacy and inability to defend their stance in any intellectual capacity. Furthermore, it highlights how they just toe the line for the sake of it. Their problem and hardly the stuff of Oxford debating society or any proper debate for that matter.

The problem is that some religions have stagnated in the medieval time whilst others have moved on and evolved.

I have just been doing a quick Google on how the ancient Romans, Egyptians and Anglo Saxons treated their women and they seem to have treated them pretty much the same as we do today. :)

True. But for the scheme to work the religious state had to support the scheme. That's a positive, yes?

The religious state changed because of the influence of science and reason. In order to make that change, it went against its long-held religious beliefs - that's the positive.

The religious state changed because of the influence of science and reason. In order to make that change, it went against its long-held religious beliefs - that's the positive.

It didn't, it just reinterpreted those beliefs to fuse religion and technological advancements. In other words whatever the advancement was, it was only able to advance because of the will of God.

Those religious people are slippery customers.

Archived