What has religion done for women.

4:24 And all married women (are forbidden unto you) save those (captives) whom your right hands possess.

4:34 Men are in charge of women, because Allah hath made the one of them to excel the other, and because they spend of their property (for the support of women). So good women are the obedient, guarding in secret that which Allah hath guarded. As for those from whom ye fear rebellion, admonish them and banish them to beds apart, and scourge* them. Then if they obey you, seek not a way against them. Lo! Allah is ever High, Exalted, Great.

*Scourge in this sense means 'whip' or 'lash' or 'flog'.

Can i ask you where you got ur quote from?

Just checked my copy of the Koran and it's an Everyman's Library / Millennium Library edition.

According to the liner notes the translation is supported by the Royal Aal al-Bayt Institute for Islamic Thought, and "...is the only English translation to have received the approval of the Supreme Islamic authority of Al-Azhar in Cairo."

The translation used in the post by AG is so inaccurate- no where does the word 'scrouge' appear in the Quran. There is no reference to anything relating to whip or lash.

No wonder so many non Muslims get all edgy over it- learn proper arabic if you're that concerned.:rolleyes:

The translation used in the post by AG is so inaccurate- no where does the word 'scrouge' appear in the Quran. There is no reference to anything relating to whip or lash.

No wonder so many non Muslims get all edgy over it- learn proper arabic if you're that concerned.:rolleyes:

I'm sure I don't need to point out the irony of criticising my grasp of language and scolding me for an alleged inaccurate translation - a translation I didn't make by the way - before going on to spell the word 'scourge' incorrectly in the same sentence.

I have cited two of the sources supporting this particular translation; the second of these - the Supreme Islamic authority of Al-Azhar - is considered to be the "Chief centre of Arabic literature and Islamic learning in the world", and the most esteemed university in Egypt by the Encyclopaedia Britannica.

Many people would take that to be a fairly reputable source, and is a translation that at the very least has some academic support. If you know of a reason why this particular translation should not be trusted, then please enlighten me; if something I read is factually incorrect I sincerely want to know why.

Surah Al-Nisa (4:34)

Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand.

read carefully.

Can i ask you where you got ur quote from?

What awful stuff you read, what book is that hate in?

• 2 weeks later...

Well maybe you being an expert in arabic would like to enlighten us with the version that you claim to be true.:rolleyes:

I'm sure I don't need to point out the irony of criticising my grasp of language and scolding me for an alleged inaccurate translation - a translation I didn't make by the way - before going on to spell the word 'scourge' incorrectly in the same sentence.

I have cited two of the sources supporting this particular translation; the second of these - the Supreme Islamic authority of Al-Azhar - is considered to be the "Chief centre of Arabic literature and Islamic learning in the world", and the most esteemed university in Egypt by the Encyclopaedia Britannica.

Many people would take that to be a fairly reputable source, and is a translation that at the very least has some academic support. If you know of a reason why this particular translation should not be trusted, then please enlighten me; if something I read is factually incorrect I sincerely want to know why.

I have also seen these interpretations and they back up what you have posted.

So we'll await Baz1 to enlighten us.

I have also seen these interpretations and they back up what you have posted.

So we'll await Baz1 to enlighten us.

Ge'oer...your source is the DM, you never produce anything else other than misogynistic claptrap.

"enlighten us" :hihi::hihi: You sure you understand the concept?

What about http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Quran/003-wife-beating.htm

Qur'an (38:44) - "And take in your hand a green branch and beat her with it, and do not break your oath..." Allah telling Job to beat his wife.

Archived