What has religion done for women.

All branches of the paganism support the idea that in all things there is an equal balance between the male and female aspects
That depends entirely on how you define paganism.

If you define it as 'anything that's not from the abrtahamic tradition' then you are way off.

If you define it more narrowly as the druidic religion local to our part of the world centuries ago then who knows? We just don't have the evidence to support that claim.

If, however, you define it as the modern wishy washy paganism that has practically nothing to do with ancient pre-Christian beliefs then yeah, I guess you're right.

Saying that modern paganism is "wishy-washy" is pretty derogatory towards it

Well I think think the implication was neopagans certainly don't carry out human sacrifice as they once did, which again does imply that the paganism of yesteryear and today is pretty much diluted.

But the OP was asking what religion had done for women , and whatever label you want to put on it you cannot argue that modern paganism does not treat women as equally , if not more important than the male , a debate about the origins or authenticity of any faith is another matter entirely.

But the OP was asking what religion had done for women , and whatever label you want to put on it you cannot argue that modern paganism does not treat women as equally , if not more important than the male , a debate about the origins or authenticity of any faith is another matter entirely.

Yes..but jimmy's argument was the definition of paganism in the same way others define Christianity or Islam. That's how i read him..i don't think it was an intentional derogatory remark, in fact i'd go as far as to say bang on the money.

Sorry but I viewed it an intentionally derogatory remark unrelated to the OP

It may have been, steel. Time will tell. I'm not speaking for jimmy i'm speaking for how i interpreted his words.

Most of what religion represents is that of the past. If you wish to sell it presently without it's origins then accept that it's a dilution..or in jimmy's case "wishy washy".

I strongly disagree, the fact that paganism as it is practiced today is a modern religion that was invented after the dawn of feminism is highly relevant.

The question is 'what has religion done for women?' not 'what religions are not sexist towards women?'.

The equality seen within modern paganism is because of feminism, not the other way round. Paganism has done practically nothing to further the cause of feminism, it has just ridden on the coat tails.

Archived