What has religion done for women.

Are we all equal?

No we are not. I know where you're going with this, and its a silly argument made by quite a lot of right wingers who just don't seem to be able to get it.

'Equality' in everyday conversation like this is generally used as shorthand for 'equality of opportunity' which is something that we should strive for.

No we are not. I know where you're going with this, and its a silly argument made by quite a lot of right wingers who just don't seem to be able to get it.

'Equality' in everyday conversation like this is generally used as shorthand for 'equality of opportunity' which is something that we should strive for.

You're quite right, we are not all equal. ;)

Are we all equal?

Everyone should have equal access and equality of opportunity. One's life trajectory should not predetermined by some accident of birth (ie whether one is born male/female or into a given social class/milieu), sexuality etc nor should self-determination by taken away from someone because of the religion that they happened to be born into. As Jimmy says, this is something that we should all be striving for.

Everyone should have equal access and equality of opportunity. One's life trajectory should not predetermined by some accident of birth (ie whether one is born male/female or into a given social class/milieu), sexuality etc nor should self-determination by taken away from someone because of the religion that they happened to be born into. As Jimmy says, this is something that we should all be striving for.
Sure, I'm all up for equal opportunity - as long as it doesn't mean we give an extra leg up to 'less equal' people and call it equality - it isn't, it's showing preference.

Sure, I'm all up for equal opportunity - as long as it doesn't mean we give an extra leg up to 'less equal' people and call it equality - it isn't, it's showing preference.

I think that in some circumstances it is necessary to provide extra support (or an extra leg up as you would call it).

I think that in some circumstances it is necessary to provide extra support (or an extra leg up as you would call it).
Fine, that's what society calls equal opportunity, but equal opportunity is only equal if everybody has to jump the same height fence in the same shoes.

If we lower the fence for people who can't jump so high and call it equal opportunity, it's anything but equal.

Fine, that's what society calls equal opportunity, but equal opportunity is only equal if everybody has to jump the same height fence in the same shoes.

If we lower the fence for people who can't jump so high and call it equal opportunity, it's anything but equal.

So, if someone has dyslexia, are you saying that they should not be given extra time in a written exam?

So, if someone has dyslexia, are you saying that they should not be given extra time in a written exam?
No, but giving them the extra time isn't equality, it's extra help. If they take longer to pass an exam than the next person, chances are they'll take longer to do a comparable job of work too.

Should they be given the same exam grade as somebody who completed the exam faster and with better spelling and grammar?

Should they be paid the same for working more slowly?

Not everyone can run a sub four minute mile but we all have the opportunity to do it if we want to give it a try.

The problem comes when the Roger Banisters of the world are kept down and replaced with a tortoise but I don't believe that happens in real life, neither do I think the tortoise has a complaint if they are not selected for the Olympics. :)

Archived