What has religion done for women.

No, but giving them the extra time isn't equality, it's extra help. If they take longer to pass an exam than the next person, chances are they'll take longer to do a comparable job of work too.

Should they be given the same exam grade as somebody who completed the exam faster and with better spelling and grammar?

Should they be paid the same for working more slowly?

Not unless the exam was being marked on finishing time in a la 'fastest finger first' method. :suspect: Everyone works at a different pace and it's an ability to meet deadlines and produce high quality work which a dyslexic may well be able to do; the fact that they have the condition in the first place should not penalise nor preclude them. Luckily we have spelling and grammar checkers on word precessing packages these days.

Not unless the exam was being marked on finishing time in a la 'fastest finger first' method. :suspect: Everyone works at a different pace and it's an ability to meet deadlines and produce high quality work which a dyslexic may well be able to do; the fact that they have the condition in the first place should not penalise nor preclude them. Luckily we have spelling and grammar checkers on word precessing packages these days.
Why not give unlimited time to complete exams, and let people have all the help thyey need if there's something they struggle with? - that way everybody could get a string of A*s, and we'd all be equal.

Why not give unlimited time to complete exams, and let people have all the help thyey need if there's something they struggle with? - that way everybody could get a string of A*s, and we'd all be equal.

Isn't that what they do now?:D Well, perhaps not unlimited time, but pretty much everything else that you have described.

So, if someone has dyslexia, are you saying that they should not be given extra time in a written exam?

On my degree course, a girl who was apparently mathematically dyslexic was let off the maths content and made up for it with another non mathematical module :confused: Crazy

I think that whilstever any religion that does not confer the right of women to fully participate in religious ceremonies and rituals, share a place of worship (rather than be segregated) and lead prayers, such differentials contribute to the overall perception that women are secondary or inferior to men, and therefore have fewer rights. This is before we even get onto issues such as access to divorce, control over one's own body etc.
The Episcopal Church in America, along with other protestant churches, has been ordaining women for some years, while the Catholic church continues to refuse to do so even as they are losing priests. It seems to me that the very function of the priesthood or ministry is very suited to women, with their concern for the human condition. Some years ago I went to the UK for my brother's funeral. As I was introduced to the vicar who was to conduct the service, he learned I was an episcopalian, and got a bit hot under the collar about ordained women, stating the C of E would never do so. So I said we had just elected a woman bishop, and by the way, she's divorced.:)

What you want Suffragette is for someone to say, "it doesn't matter who you are, it doesn't matter how good you are or how quick or how slow, or how intelligent you all are I love you all equally, I treat you all equally and I shall reward you all equally. And that's Christianity. :)

What you want Suffragette is for someone to say, "it doesn't matter who you are, it doesn't matter how good you are or how quick or how slow, or how intelligent you all are I love you all equally, I treat you all equally and I shall reward you all equally. And that's Christianity. :)

hilarious. What was Augustine's take on women?

Eh? I never mentioned love, that's all bound up with deity. What I was saying is that everyone should have a fair chance, if people fall down (or fail) due to lack of ability then so be it. However, they should not be disallowed that chance on the basis of what they are rather nor failed on any other grounds other than the appropriate criteria. Surely that is not too much to ask for?

Archived