Protesters camped at St Pauls

Should the protester move away from St Pauls, bearing in mind that the chur  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Should the protester move away from St Pauls, bearing in mind that the chur

• Yes
    • No

Well lets just hope we prove you wrong in the end.

Nobody has since the suffragettes achieved universal suffrage through direct action - after that protest became a self indulgent game for those who like a good day out waving placards and possibly a fight with the old bill followed by faux shock when they get a kicking.

In a democracy change does not come from white guys with dreadlocks waving placards

I've not seen any of them. There are all sorts down there, so to trot out the clichés does you no favour.

As to direct action causing no change, it has never been a quick answer. People don't tend to change their minds just because of protest. It is a step though in expressing ideas. Not always the best step, and I tend to think that if it turns violent or ugly then the media ignore everything else. I don't believe in violent protest. Still, they have the right to do it and I support that expression.

It took nearly 100 years for the Chartist Movement to see their ideas put into practice, things we all take for granted today. The outcome isn't always direct enough to say "protest does no good anymore".

The Church did give their blessings, and they lasted 5 days. Since then the Trustees and the City of London have been putting pressure on for evictions.

Just because yet again, the bankers believe their money and powers should win, does not mean the protesters will walk away and say, Ok our job is done.

I have not heard anything from the trustees of the cathedral. All I hear is church officials, the bishop, asking for the protesters to move. Please provide evidence to back up your claim.

Oh, and the land you lot are on is privately owned, so you should be moved on, regardless of who owns it. Unfortunately, the church is stuck between a rock and a hard place. They have asked you to go, but they don't want to forcefully remove you. I think you, the protesters, are playing on the church's good will. Shame on you!

In my opinion it is an inherent weakness in Christianity, but it is convenient in this context; for Christ was a true egalitarian. He saw all people as equal. It was this thought that sparked protestantism, a protest against the power and wealth of Rome.

See any patterns in this? :)

Yes. How would Jesus have reacted?

Yes. What how would Jesus have reacted?

This is the Jesus that threw the moneylenders out of the temple. He'd be right behind the protestors - and maybe he'd even chuck in the odd miracle; five cups of Starbucks coffee and two cornish pasties into enough to feed the whole lot.

In a democracy change does not come from white guys with dreadlocks waving placards and getting in the way of the public.

Exactly. The protest is not a genuine working class protest as, by their very nature, working class people need to work to live and don't have the luxury of taking a few weeks off to go on a camping holiday.

No, the protesters are the usual suspects; spoilt rich kids trying to get down "wiv da poor kids" who know that the moment it gets a bit dirty or chilly, they can ring mummy and daddy for a lift back to their nice warm country homes. No wonder 9 out of 10 tents are unoccupied by night!

Exactly. The protest is not a genuine working class protest as, by their very nature, working class people need to work to live and don't have the luxury of taking a few weeks off to go on a camping holiday.

No, the protesters are the usual suspects; spoilt rich kids trying to get down "wiv da poor kids" who know that the moment it gets a bit dirty or chilly, they can ring mummy and daddy for a lift back to their nice warm country homes. No wonder 9 out of 10 tents are unoccupied by night!

Sorry? Since when have the working class been the only ones who have a legitimate beef with government - and since when were they the only people allowed to protest?

Empty tents are litter and should be cleared away.

Actually, they come from all sections of society - but I suspect facts aren't of much interest to you.

Actually, they come from all sections of society - but I suspect facts aren't of much interest to you.

No they don't. Are you so arrogant that you think what everyone else posts is an opinion but what you post is a fact?

In fact, why don't you post the word FACT after everything you say, just so we all know it's true? :roll:

Archived