Protesters camped at St Pauls

Should the protester move away from St Pauls, bearing in mind that the chur  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Should the protester move away from St Pauls, bearing in mind that the chur

• Yes
    • No

I repeat, The City of London Police would not, and did not, allow us into the Stock Exchange. Did you know they have their own police force per chance?

The Police kettled us at St Pauls, which is adjacent to the Stock Exchange, and the decision was made to stay there.

Youll have to ask the Police why they wouldnt allow us on the Stock Exchange.

So you gave in quickly and squatted somewhere easy.

Your planning was obviously impeccable, calling yourselves Occupy London stock Exchange without first checking whether it would be achievable. Well done for being part of the most embarrassing protest in the history of protests.

So you gave in quickly and squatted somewhere easy.

Your planning was obviously impeccable, calling yourselves Occupy London stock Exchange without first checking whether it would be achievable. Well done for being part of the most embarrassing protest in the history of protests.

Really...?

We are giving one another massive claps on backs :)

Each to their own hey. ;)

The antics and social background of a bunch of soap-dodgers wasting other people's time in London are of little interest to me.

You've changed your tune, last week you were salivating at the thought of a few "soap-dodgers" getting roughed up.

Ah, protestors. Time for tear gas and water cannons :)

Taken from Fraser Dyers wordpress today. Another one of the clergy of St Pauls, on the right side of this debate.

http://thewhiffofgod.blogspot.com/2011/10/on-resigning-from-pastoral-team-at-st.html

On standing down from the Pastoral Team at St Paul's Cathedral

Since the summer I've been a chaplain at St Paul's Cathedral, one of many London clergy who give half a day a month to being the priest available to the cathedral's visitors, and to leading prayers on the hour. It is has been immensely enjoyable and interesting to do. Arising from my relationship with the cathedral I've been closely following the events arising from the Occupy London protest which pitched camp in the cathedral precinct a fortnight ago. There seemed to be a great deal that was positive and constructive about the dialogue between the protestors and the cathedral. I was therefore very disappointed to learn of today's announcement that St Paul's is taking legal action to have the protestors removed. Consequently I have decided to stand down from the pastoral team, and explained my reasons to Michael Colclough, Canon Pastor of St Paul's Cathedral, in an email earlier today (below).

I can't stress how tiny a gnat I am in the scheme of things, so my decision is not even a blip on the radar compared to Giles Fraser's principled and courageous resignation. But given the negative PR that has been, and will continue to be, generated from the cathedral's action I wanted to join my voice with other clergy colleagues and church members who are expressing disquiet with the stance being taken by St Paul's. I don't for a minute think they have been put in an easy situation, and I wish them well as they continue to work out the best way forward. More than anything I am sorry that the story has become one about the Church and not about the City, which is really where the attention must be focussed.

Dear Bishop Michael,

I appreciate what a difficult couple of weeks the Dean and Chapter have had following the occupation of the cathedral precinct by protestors campaigning against corporate greed. You have been much in my thoughts and prayers as you have navigated the complex issues with which you have been presented, and the negative press which arose from the decision to close the cathedral. I am delighted that a way was found to reopen the building today which satisfied the cathedral's duty of care towards its worshippers and visitors, and have been impressed by the degree of cooperation that Occupy London offered to enable this to happen.

It has therefore been disappointing to learn of today's announcement that St Paul's will instigate legal proceedings seeking the removal of the protestors. It is particularly poignant that this announcement comes on the day that IDS report an increase in top directors' pay of almost 50% over the last year. I appreciate that St Paul's has its own means of speaking to the issue of corporate and financial conduct in the City, but am sorry that a way could not be found of - at the very least - continuing to thole the occupation of the precinct by those with a genuine and prophetic complaint that has much in keeping with the values of the gospel.

I only recently joined the cathedral's pastoral team and it has been a privilege to minister to the building's many visitors. I was looking forward to more opportunities to do so. Today, however, I am left feeling embarrassed by the position the Dean and Chapter have taken. I do not relish the prospect of having to defend the cathedral's position in the face of the inevitable questions that visitors to St Paul's will pose in the coming weeks and months, particularly if we are to see protestors forcibly removed by police at the Dean and Chapter's behest. It is therefore with regret that I write to inform you of my decision to stand down from the pastoral team with immediate effect.

I continue to wish you well, and a strengthening of discernment, as the situation continues to play out. All of the staff and volunteers at St Paul's remain much in my prayers at this difficult time.

With warmest good wishes,

Fraser.

You will need it when you are playing with the big boys with the batons who are coming to boot you off your illegal campsite.

We will be ready with our camera's and our I-phones (oohhh controversial) showing the public how democratic our country is.

Taken from Fraser Dyers wordpress today. Another one of the clergy of St Pauls, on the right side of this debate.

More than anything I am sorry that the story has become one about the Church and not about the City, which is really where the attention must be focussed.

This about sums it up, whilst they occupy St Pauls it is where the focus will stay.

Archived