Are the protests really "anti-capitalist"?

Pick another set of words then. The point stands.

I agree they don't realise what they are really protesting against. The thing that they are really protesting against (but don't realise it) is even worse - increased corporatism. We we have is a system of self-reinforcing overlapping corporatist blocs developing that serve to concentrate power and wealth to the elite:

Financial - political

Financial - media

Media - political

Police - political

etc...

etc...

All working together on top of the capitalist system for their own ends. I would say capitalism was working pretty well until the 70s. Then it has hijacked.

Ian Hislop made a good comment on HIGNFY on Friday, said something like "you don't have to want to go back to a stoneage bartering economy to protest against the banks screwing everything up".

But as Louise Minchin pointed out, they can't be that against a capitalist system when they consume just as other consumers do. To be fair, I don't think they're hardcore anti-capitalist, they just want the system to be fairer.

Are you saying that a real anti-capitalist would not buy things to consume?Thats seems a bit strange.I suppose people who go to work are similarly pro-capitalist.Just how does an anti-capitalist avoid these strictures?

Are you saying that a real anti-capitalist would not buy things to consume?Thats seems a bit strange.I suppose people who go to work are similarly pro-capitalist.Just how does an anti-capitalist avoid these strictures?

I don't think he is saying anything, he's quoting..

#OccupyLSX – Initial statement

Posted on October 16, 2011 by occupylsx

At today’s assembly of over 500 people on the steps of St Paul’s, #occupylsx collectively agreed the initial statement below. Please note, like all forms of direct democracy, the statement will always be a work in progress.

1 The current system is unsustainable. It is undemocratic and unjust. We need alternatives; this is where we work towards them.

2 We are of all ethnicities, backgrounds, genders, generations, sexualities dis/abilities and faiths. We stand together with occupations all over the world.

3 We refuse to pay for the banks’ crisis.

4 We do not accept the cuts as either necessary or inevitable. We demand an end to global tax injustice and our democracy representing corporations instead of the people.

5 We want regulators to be genuinely independent of the industries they regulate.

6 We support the strike on the 30th November and the student action on the 9th November, and actions to defend our health services, welfare, education and employment, and to stop wars and arms dealing.

7 We want structural change towards authentic global equality. The world’s resources must go towards caring for people and the planet, not the military, corporate profits or the rich.

8 We stand in solidarity with the global oppressed and we call for an end to the actions of our government and others in causing this oppression.

9 This is what democracy looks like. Come and join us!

Would I be right in saying that in the main, they are public sector workers?

No. Im not in the public sector. Im in the private sector.

The people i saw were from many many walks of life. Business people, a judge, a few journalists, students, lots of aggrieved workers and people recently made jobless.

• 2 months later...

Archived