Any girls out there wanting to start a martial art?

meumeu77

Most of the women at kickboxing are fairly new and don't tend to go in for the punching each other really hard in the face bits - it's good fun and great for fitness and practical applications. Suppose not everyone's looking for that at first though :)

Jujitsu's one of the better all round introductions to martial arts IMO, has many of the basics of locking, throwing and striking (though by including everything it doesn't necessarily go as deep into each topic as other more specific styles)

Taekwondo is more of a sport oriented style than self defence but will definitely get you supple and is good for speed.

I'd recommend you look for a club which includes fitness training elements unless you do outside fitness work... but above all look for one that has friendly people and an atmosphere you enjoy!

I wasn't very fit when I started Taekwondo. It's really normal as a beginner to struggle a bit with fitness - but you'll be surprised how quickly that changes. And anyway, people of all shapes and sizes and all levels of fitness do martial arts.

Don't let feeling unfit be a reason not to get fit!

And I agree - find a club that seems friendly. Try out a few different things before you decide which one suits you.

Good luck!

Jenbop - maybe you and meumeu could come to jiujitsu together for your first session, that way each of you won't be the only newbie :)

I agree with Tartempion - try out a few. I started with jiujitsu because a friend from Uni started going, and I got roped in because I always liked martial arts films (old skool Jackie Chan, not the stuff that Tony and Cherie Blair like :lol:)

I also tried karate with the same friend, and she decided to stick with that as she prefered the discipline.

I've also tried aikido, but I prefered jitsu as I'd been doing it longer.

PS> i am biased ;)

The best martial arts for girls are the ones that can defeat stronger attackers. Aikido is probably the best for this.

My favorite aikido club in Sheffield is:

hallam-aikido.co.uk/

And my favorite (the most authentic) jujutsu club is:

sheffieldjujitsu.co.uk/content.php

Please consider that your choice of school is very important.

the jitsu foundation (the name says it all: It has no meaning, art foundation :hihi: ) is a joke and will just result in you being injured when practising with live blades etc. Don't bother!

:-)

don't get too hung up on what style at present. The people, atmosphere and instruction at the club are, to me, just as great a the style itself. Give yourself a bit of time, go to a few different clubs (usually the 1st sessions free!)

You'd be amazed at how different the atmosphere can be in different clubs teaching the same art.

You never know, a few weeks in, the thought of taking a couple of taps sparring might not be so bad. Its fun and the adrenaline rush tends to make you not really feel it (so long as its not full contact)

good luck

Archived