Any girls out there wanting to start a martial art?

meumeu77

Originally posted by nattydread

The best martial arts for girls are the ones that can defeat stronger attackers. Aikido is probably the best for this.

My favorite aikido club in Sheffield is:

hallam-aikido.co.uk/

And my favorite (the most authentic) jujutsu club is:

sheffieldjujitsu.co.uk/content.php

Please consider that your choice of school is very important.

the jitsu foundation (the name says it all: It has no meaning, art foundation :hihi: ) is a joke and will just result in you being injured when practising with live blades etc. Don't bother!

:-)

I don't know if you've ever trained with us or seen a jitsu foundation class, but either way I don't think you should be critising other martial arts.

Our classes are certainly not a joke, and you'd be welcome to train with us and find out if you wish.

Id have to say to say that AFK kickboxing club is THE best!!!

http://www.sheffieldkickboxing.com

were taught by :

Andy Lacey (Big Andy) who has been in the ring with world heavyweight champion Simon dore x2 and been the distance both times!

Sajad Baroo( Uncle saj/ master of street fightin) who is as good on the groud as he is standin up

Farhad Ali Amateur welterweiht champ in kickboxing and the fastest padholder (and most painful low kicker) ive ever met (also a total perfectionist for boxing technique and guard)

come along and see for yourself.

Oh i forgot to mention other instructors we have at the gym,

The brown belts are:

Mark Howarth who did shaolin kung fu before kickboxing. mark has fouht in thaiboxing and amature boxing as well hes the thursday beginers class teacher.

Kathryn mapley who teaches womens only class

Milad tarokh "the iranian hurricane" was a junior champion now is ready to kick ass as a senior and will take over Farhads empty slot in the welterweiht division.

I'm getting really excited about trying out martial arts. I used to do judo as a kid but had to stop after a few years because I was also doing ballet dancing and my ballet teacher wasn't too pleased.

I just don't know which one to try first! :hihi:

Agreed. There is a lot of variation but it really depends on what you're looking for. I do martial arts for fun and fitness, but also because while I'm having fun etc. I'd also like to be learning something that would be useful to use in a fight. Seems a necessary part of the martial arts concept in many ways.

I have to admit, I'm not keen on anything that says 'come and learn our mystical techniques which will allow you to defeat someone twice your size and strength'. Think that for one thing, this isn't true, and for another it can give people false confidence. Also means that they tend not to do much in the way of fitness because after all, why do they need to? Their ninja powers mean that they can defeat anyone despite being puny / overweight. (I've seen some incredibly unfit martial arts instructors in my time).

Don't be put off by freddy's slightly overenthusiastic promotion - the wellington street kickboxing gym is a great place to train and is run by people with a very good sense of the practical aspects - andy in particular is good on the self defense side. It tends to be quite a small group and can involve a lot of bagwork and sparring. Come down on a sunday 12-2 and say hi (im the tall thin long haired one).

I'd also really recommend the wicker thai boxing gym, went tonight and came away feeling really good - it's very high energy and has huge classes.. they seem to let you get away with not so great technique until you've been going for a few months but as you grade further I think the usefulness as a fighting art gets better - I know that the instructors and more advanced students are to a man/woman people that I would not like to step into a ring with.

Judo and brazilian jujitsu are great for grappling, I'd recommend the sheffield judo club, 393 langsett road BJJ club (and also the shootfighting at the same venue).

As far as traditional stuff goes (putting aside my preference for usable stuff for a moment) some of it is good for beginners - there are a lot of jujitsu classes out there but you'll find a lot of variation between clubs in the way it's approached, and the same for other arts. As cyclone said, it's probably a good idea to go to a few and see which ones you stick with - I did this and have now found a good range of clubs which suit my training ethos - enough to train pretty much whenever I feel like it / have time.

Yeah, I'm going to bed now. Night.

Originally posted by Crayfish

Their ninja powers mean that they can defeat anyone

Oops sounds like you're having a direct go at ninjutsu.

Whilst you're singing the praises of jujutsu consider that Takamatsu the 33rd Soke and direct predescessor of Masaaki Hatsumi (the present and 34th Soke, head of the Bujinkan) Was called in to help in formulating the Jujutsu system in the early 20th century.

Misrepresentation has happened of ideas such as 'ninjas become invisible'. Not to be taken literally. If you walk into a pub acting like you own the place - you're likely to find the guy who does! If you go in looking for a quiet drink, no one will notice you.

The Ethos at Wicker is that not everyone is there to train to become a fighter, or to compete, some people just want fitness, self defence or maybe just to meet people.

First thing first is that people are paying good money so Wicker like to ensure that everyone gets what they want from coming to the gym.

Crayfish is right, the further you progress the more important the need for refinement and fine tuning, no one is going to get into the ring representing Wicker Camp under prepared or looking like like a beginner, probably why we have more Championship titles than any Muay Thai club in England.

Originally posted by garryn

Oops sounds like you're having a direct go at ninjutsu.

Whilst you're singing the praises of jujutsu consider that Takamatsu the 33rd Soke and direct predescessor of Masaaki Hatsumi (the present and 34th Soke, head of the Bujinkan) Was called in to help in formulating the Jujutsu system in the early 20th century.

Misrepresentation has happened of ideas such as 'ninjas become invisible'. Not to be taken literally. If you walk into a pub acting like you own the place - you're likely to find the guy who does! If you go in looking for a quiet drink, no one will notice you.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to target any art in particular. Should have phrased that differently. I'm quite willing to have a crack at jujitsu as well though for the idea of weight doesn't matter do this and you will gain invincibility etc. - think students can sometimes get these things into their heads.. I started off in traditional jujitsu and by the time I was around 1st kyu I was unreasonably confident in my ability to defend myself on the street (and looking back, I couldn't fight at all). Still can't, but at least I'm more realistic about it :)

Archived