Barrowboys of castlefolds fruit market

gadget_man

One of my school mates worked there from 1957 to 1958 when he was killed by a runaway lorry which ran out of brakes coming down Duke St.I would sometimes meet up with him on my way to work and walk up to Blast Lane with him,fortunatly for me I went to work on my motorbike that day.RIP Terry I will never forget.

One of my school mates worked there from 1957 to 1958 when he was killed by a runaway lorry which ran out of brakes coming down Duke St.I would sometimes meet up with him on my way to work and walk up to Blast Lane with him,fortunatly for me I went to work on my motorbike that day.RIP Terry I will never forget.

hi bb,yes i can remember at least 3 lorrys running away down duke street after brake failure and that is why to this day vehicles are restricted to 7.5 tonnes

on that section but i think its a bit outdated now with the modern braking systems;i remember that lad getting killed that day allthough i can't remember who he worked for,but i will ask my brother who also worked in the market .

The last lorry i remember running away down there was about 1960 but it turned over just before hitting the wall at the bottom where terry was killed and i remember hundreds of morphy richards irons allover the road,fortunately i don,t think anyone was hurt that day,i started work at joseph birds in the fruit market just after that'it was great working in that market in those days,the atmosphere was electrifying lol.

hi bb,yes i can remember at least 3 lorrys running away down duke street after brake failure and that is why to this day vehicles are restricted to 7.5 tonnes

on that section but i think its a bit outdated now with the modern braking systems;i remember that lad getting killed that day allthough i can't remember who he worked for,but i will ask my brother who also worked in the market .

The last lorry i remember running away down there was about 1960 but it turned over just before hitting the wall at the bottom where terry was killed and i remember hundreds of morphy richards irons allover the road,fortunately i don,t think anyone was hurt that day,i started work at joseph birds in the fruit market just after that'it was great working in that market in those days,the atmosphere was electrifying lol.

It was ironic really,Terry was a schoolboy champion runner and a fantastic dancer and that damn lorry crushed his legs,the marks were on the wall for years,he was 16yrs old.

Gadget Man, If I may correct you regarding the term 'barrow boy'. In Sheffield parlance it was 'barrer lad'.

thats exactly what they did call us as you say;i suppose i have got a bit toffee nosed as i got older,were you a barrer lad by the way?.

are there any old barrowboys out there who worked at the old castlefolds fruit

market up to its closure in 1961 when it then transfered to the parkway new wholesale fruit market.

A pal of mine who lived on East Bank Road worked there in the fifty,s and early sixties his name was Freddie Sanderson. He later worked for Monks on Queens Road before starting in a Co Op concrete business on Effingham Road.

Top Bloke is Fred.

A pal of mine who lived on East Bank Road worked there in the fifty,s and early sixties his name was Freddie Sanderson. He later worked for Monks on Queens Road before starting in a Co Op concrete business on Effingham Road.:D:D:cool:

Top Bloke is Fred.[/uOTE]

yes i remember freddie he worked on jonas parker and i worked next door at cottrills potatoes all cwt sacks fred had a beard and i remember fred having an operation on his testicles fred was a great happy mate ihope he is doing ok i can go to his house now mick and pat hickey:

Hi,gadget man.I worked for Ron Boler as a barrow boy about 1956.There is a thread earlier by STUNMON,14-10-11 regarding sheffield markets,thought you may find something interesting on there.goodluck,eightlegger.

hi eightlegger does that mean you drove eightwheelers like i did ?.

yes i remember ron boler and he built a potatoe pre packing wharehouse on

maltravers road;my mate pete crawley drove a lorry for him ,it was an old flat fronted austin;a real good looking kid old pete but sadly no longer with us.

another old market driver/barrer lad named Benny Hodgetts who only had one eye but class 1 driver emigrated to Canada approx 20 years ago to live in buffallo;near niagra falls,he came back to visit approx 15 years ago but lost contact since then;i hope he is still around and doing ok,i would love to hear from him ,he would be about 70 now.

Archived