Price of train ticket on day from Manchester airport back to Sheffield?

What's unfair is people who buy the advanced fairs, are fully aware that they are bound to one train and then board any train they like expecting to win the argument with the conductor. This causes no end of problems with people claiming to have reserved a seat on a full train when in fact they shouldn't even be on that service.

People who get thrown off at the next stop a very lucky not to be charged full fare. If I can keep to time and get on the correct train then others can too, you accept the risk when you pay the advance fare.

The majority of train services in Europe are ticketed like this and funnily enough people don't seem to have a problem with it.

As said above, the 3 hour window only applies to tickets called "airport advance" . Its a sensible precaution against an unavoidable delay that can be proved. Can you imagine the fun and games that would go on if this applied to all advance tickets?

Its impossible to prove the tube made you miss a train when other methods of transport are available. Again, its the risk you take in booking an advance fare.

Do you honestly think the 06.55 will have been busy. :hihi:

This is the 07.20 from Manchester Piccadilly getting into Sheffield at 08.10 ish, so yes it does sometimes get busy. It's essentially a commuter train.

I agree with this. I was on the Sheff to St Pancras on an advanced ticket, the girl next to me was also. She had by accident boarded the train that left 10 minutes before the other Sheef to London train. The conducter made her get off at the next station and told her to get into the train behind, so at least she was not charged extra, but I really don't see the differance as it was a genuine mistake and there were plenty of seats as it was only me, herself and two men in the whole of the first class section.

Firstly, how do you know that it wasn't going to get busy?

Secondly, it wasn't exactly a major hardship to get the next train.

As for genuine mistake.....it's strange how certain people make the same genuine mistakes all the time. I'm going to guess that a lot of people try using their cheaper tickets on that train, citing it as a mistake, even though the one after goes from a different platform. Could have been genuine, but sounds like the guard did the sensible thing.

As for genuine mistake.....it's strange how certain people make the same genuine mistakes all the time. I'm going to guess that a lot of people try using their cheaper tickets on that train, citing it as a mistake, even though the one after goes from a different platform. Could have been genuine, but sounds like the guard did the sensible thing.

I agree, the amout of people giving my hubby grief as apparantly it is his fault they got on the wrong train :loopy:

Its impossible to prove the tube made you miss a train when other methods of transport are available. Again, its the risk you take in booking an advance fare.

It's not actually.

If there are significant delays on the tube and your ticket includes that travel then you will generally be issued with another ticket. It has to be an announced delay though, a couple of minutes longer than you expected won't cut it.

It's not actually.

If there are significant delays on the tube and your ticket includes that travel then you will generally be issued with another ticket. It has to be an announced delay though, a couple of minutes longer than you expected won't cut it.

yes but this would only happen if you bought a combined train+tube ticket. You are (quite rightly) out of luck if you purchase separate tickets.

Indeed.

I missed a manchester train a few months back due to a 5 minute delay (I was cutting it close anyway). I had to buy a new ticket (before I boarded), and Virgin were nice enough to refund the original ticket when I emailed a complaint, the conductor was also good enough to let me sit in 1st as per my original ticket instead of standard (the replacement I'd bought). So all in all it cost me an extra £35, could have been worse.

On the other hand when the Victoria line has been closed due to strikes, I missed my train by a good 30 minutes (despite having set off an extra hour in advance), the ticket desk just said "get on the next available train", which I did, and all was fine.

Indeed.

I missed a manchester train a few months back due to a 5 minute delay (I was cutting it close anyway). I had to buy a new ticket (before I boarded), and Virgin were nice enough to refund the original ticket when I emailed a complaint, the conductor was also good enough to let me sit in 1st as per my original ticket instead of standard (the replacement I'd bought). So all in all it cost me an extra £35, could have been worse.

On the other hand when the Victoria line has been closed due to strikes, I missed my train by a good 30 minutes (despite having set off an extra hour in advance), the ticket desk just said "get on the next available train", which I did, and all was fine.

there is lots of discretion going around which is good because the conductor can use common sense, but this ends the moment people complain because the discretion doesn't go their way. Ultimately its people that spoil the good will of conductors.

Archived