Price of train ticket on day from Manchester airport back to Sheffield?

I've only once boarded a train with an advance purchase ticket that wasn't for that train and I was willing to buy a new ticket but the conductor used his discretion and was fine with it. Unfortunately a lot of people do take the mic and there are no such circumstances beyond their control. I was returning home early from Manchester as the snow was coming down much heavier in Sheffield and I didn't want to get stuck!

I've only once boarded a train with an advance purchase ticket that wasn't for that train and I was willing to buy a new ticket but the conductor used his discretion and was fine with it. Unfortunately a lot of people do take the mic and there are no such circumstances beyond their control. I was returning home early from Manchester as the snow was coming down much heavier in Sheffield and I didn't want to get stuck!

fair enough as you were willing to actually pay for the train you boarded, and didn't claim someone's seat.

fair enough as you were willing to actually pay for the train you boarded, and didn't claim someone's seat.

Well, yes. But the whole seat reservation thing drives me potty anyhow. Since I pay in excess of 3K a year and don't get a reservation, I'm rather unwilling to move for someone who has paid £5 and thinks the seat is their god-given right. Especially on a commuter service...

Well, yes. But the whole seat reservation thing drives me potty anyhow. Since I pay in excess of 3K a year and don't get a reservation, I'm rather unwilling to move for someone who has paid £5 and thinks the seat is their god-given right. Especially on a commuter service...

I'd chuck you out of the seat if you had that attitude with me if I came along and you were sat in my seat and refused to budge. If you feel that aggrieved, get rid of your season ticket and start travelling on advance tickets instead.

well if they have a reserved seat and you're sitting in it then you should get up, especially as that person could be on a long journey. I've got no problem with people sitting in reserved seats as long as they get up when asked by a person who can prove they have that seat booked.

I'd chuck you out of the seat if you had that attitude with me if I came along and you were sat in my seat and refused to budge. If you feel that aggrieved, get rid of your season ticket and start travelling on advance tickets instead.

What attitude is that exactly? Me thinks I'm not the one with the attitude! :hihi: I can't travel on advance tickets, I don't always know my working hours far enough in advance - but thank you for thinking of me!

Oh - and they are very rarely doing a long journey - ie past Sheffield or Manchester each way. I, however, am on the train for longer than that. Won't someone think of the commuters?!

I do get up - providing people aren't twatty about it. Ofc if you want to take an attitude or not produce your reservation for me, you can go get the conductor, on a crowded rush hour train, good luck with that. :-)

well if they have a reserved seat and you're sitting in it then you should get up, especially as that person could be on a long journey. I've got no problem with people sitting in reserved seats as long as they get up when asked by a person who can prove they have that seat booked.

I have an issue with it - but not with the person, with the whole system. When a commuter train is composed of 80% booked seats for "cheap" tickets leaving commuters no where to sit - I don't think that's particularly fair. You pay less, you travel on a commuter train and you get a pre booked seat. Sadly not a luxury us plebs have.

I do get up - providing people aren't twatty about it. Ofc if you want to take an attitude or not produce your reservation for me, you can go get the conductor, on a crowded rush hour train, good luck with that. :-)

I have an issue with it - but not with the person, with the whole system.

Well done for contradicting yourself within the space of two minutes and two posts :D

It is there right if they have a reservation and you don't.

And there's nothing stopping you buying £5 advance tickets instead of having a season ticket.

Archived