Price of train ticket on day from Manchester airport back to Sheffield?

I have an issue with it - but not with the person, with the whole system. When a commuter train is composed of 80% booked seats for "cheap" tickets leaving commuters no where to sit - I don't think that's particularly fair. You pay less, you travel on a commuter train and you get a pre booked seat. Sadly not a luxury us plebs have.

if you have a problem with the system then complain to the train company or the regulator. It does sound like you're being awkward with people simply because they have the cheek to reserve a seat.

I'm pretty sure a season pass holder such as yourself could reserve a seat at the station either in advance or on the day for a small fee, (used to be £1, could be slightly more now).

if you have a problem with the system then complain to the train company or the regulator. It does sound like you're being awkward with people simply because they have the cheek to reserve a seat.

I'm pretty sure a season pass holder such as yourself could reserve a seat at the station either in advance or on the day for a small fee, (used to be £1, could be slightly more now).

But why should I have to pay in addition to my season ticket? I have complained, numerous times. It falls on deaf ears. You are assuming I'm being awkward, as you're not there - perhaps best to refrain from that. Why do the train companies offer advance seat reservations? People are booked on a train - you do not have to seat in your assigned seat and many choose not to. What advantage does the seat reservation system offer the train companies? IT costs them money in printing out reservations, maintaining their computer reservation system (which doesn't work sometimes) and costs people power to put the slips out on top of the seats. And for what?

It is there right if they have a reservation and you don't.

And there's nothing stopping you buying £5 advance tickets instead of having a season ticket.

Not entirely feasible when you don't know your hours from one day to the next. I dispute that it's their right actually. That is my point. Why do those that buy advance tickets (as I often do to go to London) get a seat reserved. Why is that a 'right'?

But why should I have to pay in addition to my season ticket? I have complained, numerous times. It falls on deaf ears. You are assuming I'm being awkward, as you're not there - perhaps best to refrain from that. Why do the train companies offer advance seat reservations? People are booked on a train - you do not have to seat in your assigned seat and many choose not to. What advantage does the seat reservation system offer the train companies? IT costs them money in printing out reservations, maintaining their computer reservation system (which doesn't work sometimes) and costs people power to put the slips out on top of the seats. And for what?

for what? So I can get a seat on a train that's full of commuters.

The reservation system also exists to limit the number of pre-booked tickets. One of the benefits of your season pass is that you can get on any train to your pre-paid destination, you can't automatically reserve a seat on all trains just in case you decide to travel on one or the other.

Sounds like the season pass isnt working for you, I would advise to to explore other ticketing arrangements.

Not entirely feasible when you don't know your hours from one day to the next. I dispute that it's their right actually. That is my point. Why do those that buy advance tickets (as I often do to go to London) get a seat reserved. Why is that a 'right'?

Because that's what the conditions of carriage allow when they are sold that ticket.

It's not a right like a human right, it's just a 'right' as granted by the ticket they've purchased.

If you want the flexibility of an open ticket you have to accept that you won't have a reservation.

the 3 hour window is only available from the airport for delayed in coming trains. it is not valid at any other station. if you are pre booked on a train and get another train you will be asked to pay for a new ticket. some conductors will allow you to travel and not charge you again if you ask them before boarding the train, however this is at the discretion of the conductor some do some don't

As for under 5s they are free, it is common sense that if a fare paying passenger needs the seat said child is on, pop him/her on your knee if you can

I know that is what I was saying but still people are whittering on about St Pancras and Kings cross :help:

for what? So I can get a seat on a train that's full of commuters.

The reservation system also exists to limit the number of pre-booked tickets. One of the benefits of your season pass is that you can get on any train to your pre-paid destination, you can't automatically reserve a seat on all trains just in case you decide to travel on one or the other.

Sounds like the season pass isnt working for you, I would advise to to explore other ticketing arrangements.

Yes, I do know how it works, thank you. I however do not agree with the system. That is my opinion. My season ticket works fine thank you - I ALWAYS get a seat!:hihi: Many season ticket commuters who arrive a little later however, do not. That is why I feel the system is fundamentally flawed.

Archived