Price of train ticket on day from Manchester airport back to Sheffield?

Because that's what the conditions of carriage allow when they are sold that ticket.

It's not a right like a human right, it's just a 'right' as granted by the ticket they've purchased.

If you want the flexibility of an open ticket you have to accept that you won't have a reservation.

I am fully aware of that. I however disagree with the system. Given that it can't be used on the first/second trains of the day (never is), often breaks down (certainly on the London bound trains) and adds confusion to people (with their additional ticket), it seems quite honestly far more hassle than it's worth.

if you are pre booked on a train and get another train you will be asked to pay for a new ticket.

IMO trains connecting with international flights should be more in line with CIV rules for international rail (e.g. Eurostar) and rail+ferry journeys (e.g. via Harwich -Hook of Holland route), offering the benefits of unrestricted peak-time travel and guaranteed onward connections.

I am fully aware of that. I however disagree with the system. Given that it can't be used on the first/second trains of the day (never is), often breaks down (certainly on the London bound trains) and adds confusion to people (with their additional ticket), it seems quite honestly far more hassle than it's worth.

I don't understand. I quite often catch the 1st train out of Sheffield southbound (not for London these days, but in the past it has been). And reservations are available and rarely not working.

A few people get confused, they can't see the seat numbers or they get in the wrong carriage. But given that it means that I always get a seat, even if someone with a season ticket is sat in it, I think the system is a good one.

I'm pretty sure a season pass holder such as yourself could reserve a seat at the station either in advance or on the day for a small fee, (used to be £1, could be slightly more now).

Free reserved seats have always existed in the privatised rail industry, and are available to walk-on and season ticket holders. Season ticket holders can also book four weeks worth of reservations in one go.

A few people get confused, they can't see the seat numbers or they get in the wrong carriage.

Seat reservations have been known to placed in the wrong carriage. One such journey on EMT I took had all of coach C's reservation tickets placed in coach D (which is supposed to have NO seat reservations).

I don't understand. I quite often catch the 1st train out of Sheffield southbound (not for London these days, but in the past it has been). And reservations are available and rarely not working.

A few people get confused, they can't see the seat numbers or they get in the wrong carriage. But given that it means that I always get a seat, even if someone with a season ticket is sat in it, I think the system is a good one.

Are you sure it's the first train? The first train with reservations on from Sheffield is the 7:09am, those earlier do not have reservations. Not sure about the east midlands though. The system is hopelessly biased towards those who travel less and pay less, however.

I think you misunderstand the bias. They could travel every day or twice a day as far as the train company is concerned. What it is is biassed towards those who can plan ahead and book a specific service. There are good reasons for this, it makes it easier for the train company to gauge demand being the primary one. The reason they pay less is to encourage them to use specific services (notice how the commuter trains don't normally offer many cheap advance tickets, but the mid day, off peak trains do).

Archived