Working at Brown Baileys

Teabag

my dad worked there in the 60 he was in the then cricket team with names like stan nickols and geff beadem and others who s name escape me but i do remember when i was young and saturday was a family day out and the local ground was at the top of high hazels park how they played cricket after that climb i will never know but had wonderful times as a child watching but nowadaysi can t get any interest in the game at all but fun days my dad name was harold aldersoni cant remember when he left but he died in the mid sixties j

Hi cleegirl - Any relation to Paul (Oscar) Alderson? Can remember Paul saying his dad used to play cricket at High Hazels ..............

Edited by lynblu

Quite a few of my family worked at Brown Bayleys at some time or other. My grandmother Annie Denial and my mother Audrey Denial. Mum married Arthur Bell, my dad,who also worked there, as did his father Seth Bell. Later on my sister also worked in the offices there, Ann Bell. I remember going on trips to Blackpool for the lights with all the ladies who worked with my gran, we had a real laugh. I think we have a photo of them in their boiler suits during a break from work somewhere. Sadly can't help with much detail as all are passed away or not well enuogh to be of help to you.

Our old labourer Frank Cooper used to work at Baileys he was a fettler there but I think he spent more time in the White Hart where he used to live. Last I knew of him

he was living on Greenland Road does anyone know if he still knocking about

Thanks

• 2 years later...

does anyone know Henry Casson who use to work at Brown Bayleys. I was told that he died in some sort of accident when he was working there. Use to be friends with him. I am just trying to find out if there is any truth in this.

I was told it happened in the 70's.

hi all,just noticed this thread,my dad worked at brown bayleys for donkeys years,his name was Harry Taylor and sadly he died in april.just wondered if anybody knew him.he got made redundant in the late 70s or early 80s after working there from leaving school and all he got was a poxy clock:rant:.

two years back we took him to steam rally at south anston and he saw a traction engine from brown bayleys,it brought back many memories for him and he got quite emotional on seeing it as if it was a long lost friend:)

yours monzaman

does anyone know Henry Casson who use to work at Brown Bayleys. I was told that he died in some sort of accident when he was working there. Use to be friends with him. I am just trying to find out if there is any truth in this.

I was told it happened in the 70's.

Hi there, I remember Henry Casson. I think we started work at Brown Bayleys on the same week in 1966. I went to work in the analytical laboratory and Henry worked on the electric furnaces. One of the jobs that relatively new starters did on the furnaces was to ferry steel samples to the Lab for analysis. It was my job to analyze the samples. I got to know Henry through this and we used to chat on a regular basis. After a while when Henry wasn't so much a new lad, the job of ferrying the samples was taken on by someone else and Henry became a furnaceman. We still saw each other from time to time and always had a few words. Sadly Henry was killed in an accident at work. I remember the time very distinctly. We were on a night shift when word came down from the furnaces that there had been a serious accident. Apparently Henry was working underneath an overhead crane and as the chains were being wound back up the brake did not work for some reason and the metal block went straight over the pulley and fell onto Henry. I understand that he was killed outright. It was a massive shock to us all and there was a very eerie feeling around the works for weeks afterwards. At Henry's funeral there were half the workforce there. A very sad memory.