Your electricity & gas bills?

I live in a 5 bed semi with not so great insulation. If I am working from home during the day, I put the gas fire on in the room I'm in. Then when all the family is back in later the central heating goes on. Would it be cheaper to have the central heating on all day? I know people say it is cheaper but surely it depends on the size of your house/ number of radiators etc.

We're also now on a fixed tariff until Spring 2014 and currently negotiating it down to £183.

you do know it doesnt matter if you 'negotiate' your monthly DD down, as it still goes on how much fuel you use, they only lock the tarrifs. And trust me if it wasn't worth their while they wouldn't.

So if you negotiate too low you will just go into debt with the provider.

I'm sure that this is the case. My husband once looked into why we seemed to be paying almost double what a lot of his colleagues pay and it seems that different rates are charged per area.

It would be easy to test. Just get two quotes which are for identical circumstances, but in different areas. Get one for S11 and one for Jaywick and see if there's any difference.

you do know it doesnt matter if you 'negotiate' your monthly DD down, as it still goes on how much fuel you use, they only lock the tarrifs. And trust me if it wasn't worth their while they wouldn't.

So if you negotiate too low you will just go into debt with the provider.

This is based on our fuel consumption in the past, this is the price per unit that we're negotiating.

I live in a 5 bed semi with not so great insulation. If I am working from home during the day, I put the gas fire on in the room I'm in. Then when all the family is back in later the central heating goes on. Would it be cheaper to have the central heating on all day? I know people say it is cheaper but surely it depends on the size of your house/ number of radiators etc.
why dont you try putting the fire on full for a hour and read the meter (before and after) then do the same with just the central heating on. i did it this way once and found my fire which was only heating one room was using more gas than the central heating for the whole house.

Archived