Should large ponds be cleaned? EG Forge dam / Endcliffe ?

I took a trip up to Forge Dam on Sunday and it seems that the water to mud ratio is a bit out! I was wondering why they never try and clear these sites. The pond in Crookes Valley park and various sites in Endcliffe park are other examples. You must be able to get a large pump and suck all the mud out.

Seems to me that using a suction pump would not cause to much disruption. just lower to the bottom it in and turn it on.

If you did would the mud be a good organic fertilizer or would it be toxic ?

How deep would those ponds actually be if you took the mud out?

Good idea or bad idea?

I think when they do it, it is well past the mud-which-can-be-pumped stage. They finish up dredging/digging it out.

I think I remember Forge Dam being done a couple of times over the years. I may be getting mixed up, but they may have removed the island when they did it.

I think they have done the same with Shepherds Wheel during the recent refurbishments.

I would guess the silt is fairly acidic, with the waters coming from moorland.

I'd of thought the major stumbling block is the cost. If it comes under the parks and countryside budget then I know from experience that their funds are very limited. if the costs were part of a community assembly budget then some-one has to bring it up as a subject and then usually pester the assembly people.

I think they have done the same with Shepherds Wheel during the recent refurbishments.

They drained the Shepherd's Wheel pond and dug the silt out with a JCB. I believe that it is all at Manor Top now as part of a wildflower meadow.

It was pretty thick silt, it would have taken some pump to shift it.

I asked about the possibility of replacing two park benches and was told they'd got several sets of metal end pieces but no funds to refrbish these or buy the required wood. It has gone on to next financial years list though so here's hoping. I'd imagine the cost of clearing silt would run into thoussands but if anyone would like to contact parks and countryside I'd love to know what the outcome was.

Archived