Scammed on ebay

Just to warn other people, don't buy vouchers on ebay.

I thought I would stretch my xmas money and bought 2 £50 M&S vouchers for £90 and a £100 River Island voucher for £93. I thought I could use the M&S vouchers to buy presents for friends and relatives, and the River Island voucher was for my teenage daughter.

Neither set have arrived, and when I try to open a case with ebay they say that they don't offer buyer protection for that category, they said contact my bank. I paid with paypal and thought they might be able to help, but because I pay by direct transfer from my bank account they can't help either - if I paid my paypal by credit card then I could have claimed.

So, I now have to explain to my kids why they won't be getting much for Xmas this year. They already lost their dad and I am trying so hard to make it up to them, I just feel gutted :(

Sorry to hear this

The thing about ebay is the you have to know who you are dealing with before you bid.

- Always check the seller's history and feedback. Avoid buying anything from anyone with little or no feedback. Look out for negative feedback.

- Never pay by direct transfer - this is a sure sign that the seller is not genuine - paypal gives you added protection.

. . . . . .

- Never pay by direct transfer - this is a sure sign that the seller is not genuine - paypal gives you added protection.

Not necessarily.

I've bought and sold many things by direct transfer - when you add up 8% eBay selling fees and 3.4% Paypal fee, the 11.4% difference can be a substantial wedge for the buyer and seller to share.

If eBay didn't charge such outragiously high fees, people wouldn't work hard at avoiding them.

In this instance, they don't.

The direct transfer was to paypal, who then pay the seller.

Hence why I would never use paypal, and only buy online using a credit card.

They had 100% feedback of 119 going back over 4 years :/ I always check feedback. It is now at 93% because the last 5 feedbacks have been negative with people saying they have been scammed, but at the time I bought it was 100%. I suspect that the sellers account has been hacked.

The direct debit payment was to paypal, not to the seller. I have paid this way for the last 7 or so years, and this is the first time I have been caught out.

My main point is how ebay can completely disassociate themselves from a sale and refuse to help, so I hope no one else buys vouchers as they are unprotected and you could be left with nothing.

I paid with paypal and thought they might be able to help, but because I pay by direct transfer from my bank account they can't help either - if I paid my paypal by credit card then I could have claimed.
That is because the "Paypal Protection" is actually the Paypal user's own CC protection (standard these days).

In guise of 'protecting' you, Paypal lodges a claim with your own CC provider to refund them (and get refunded in 99.99% of cases)...the same as you would if you bought online with your CC direct, got scammed and filed the claim with your CC provider in the 1st place. That's why they "can't do" protection when no CC is involved: they have noone to reclaim the funds from.

Exact same situation if you try and claim when you have paid for something with Paypal funds (e.g. from your own auctions): no CC involved, so no protection. Which is doubly-galling when they are happy coining it with the interests whilever the balance stays there unused (you just think about how many people have even just a few £s sat on there at any one time).

Rule #1 of using eBay (and any other e-commerce site) through Paypal: never pay with a Paypal account balance or with a Paypal<->direct bank/direct debit setup (don't ever set up a Paypal <->direct bank/direct debit, it's much less less secure than CC, with little to no comeback, as experienced by the OP).

Rule #2 of using Paypal: if you sell and must offer Paypal payment, as soon as buyers' fees land on your Paypal account, suck'em back out (facilitates sticking to Rule #1 above). It's free and -added bonus- helps stop Paypal minting it in interests.

They had 100% feedback of 119 going back over 4 years :/ I always check feedback. It is now at 93% because the last 5 feedbacks have been negative with people saying they have been scammed, but at the time I bought it was 100%. I suspect that the sellers account has been hacked.

The direct debit payment was to paypal, not to the seller. I have paid this way for the last 7 or so years, and this is the first time I have been caught out.

My main point is how ebay can completely disassociate themselves from a sale and refuse to help, so I hope no one else buys vouchers as they are unprotected and you could be left with nothing.

If you have paid via paypal it should be safe you will have to call paypal ebay are getting to be a law unto themselves at the moment

Just to warn other people, don't buy vouchers on ebay.

I thought I would stretch my xmas money and bought 2 £50 M&S vouchers for £90 and a £100 River Island voucher for £93. I thought I could use the M&S vouchers to buy presents for friends and relatives, and the River Island voucher was for my teenage daughter.

Neither set have arrived, and when I try to open a case with ebay they say that they don't offer buyer protection for that category, they said contact my bank. I paid with paypal and thought they might be able to help, but because I pay by direct transfer from my bank account they can't help either - if I paid my paypal by credit card then I could have claimed.

So, I now have to explain to my kids why they won't be getting much for Xmas this year. They already lost their dad and I am trying so hard to make it up to them, I just feel gutted :(

Although am not a big fan of Paypal...but I have to tell you what you were told is wrong...I always pay for items by direct bank transfer and recently i had a problem and I opened a dispute online and it went to my favour...so Go to the resolution center on paypal website and file a claim there and see how it goes.... dont call them on fone some idiots could answer you and give you wrong advise...

on a second thought you can contact your bank for a charge back ... and explain what happen to them..

good luck

Qlthough

Archived