Scammed on ebay

Although am not a big fan of Paypal...but I have to tell you what you were told is wrong...I always pay for items by direct bank transfer and recently i had a problem and I opened a dispute online and it went to my favour...so Go to the resolution center on paypal website and file a claim there and see how it goes.... dont call them on fone some idiots could answer you and give you wrong advise...

on a second thought you can contact your bank for a charge back ... and explain what happen to them..

good luck

Qlthough

It wasn't wrong unfortunately :(

13.3 What type of payments are eligible for re-imbursement under PayPal Buyer Protection?

PayPal Buyer Protection only applies to PayPal payments for certain tangible, physical goods that can be posted. Payments for the following are not eligible for re-imbursement under PayPal Buyer Protection:

- items equivalent to cash (including, without limitation, gift cards)

Just to warn other people, don't buy vouchers on ebay.

I thought I would stretch my xmas money and bought 2 £50 M&S vouchers for £90 and a £100 River Island voucher for £93. I thought I could use the M&S vouchers to buy presents for friends and relatives, and the River Island voucher was for my teenage daughter.

Neither set have arrived, and when I try to open a case with ebay they say that they don't offer buyer protection for that category, they said contact my bank. I paid with paypal and thought they might be able to help, but because I pay by direct transfer from my bank account they can't help either - if I paid my paypal by credit card then I could have claimed.

So, I now have to explain to my kids why they won't be getting much for Xmas this year. They already lost their dad and I am trying so hard to make it up to them, I just feel gutted :(

That is awful luck. :(

Don't take no for an answer from PayPal/Ebay. Go back to them - be pleasant but insistent. Hopefully you can get it sorted.

Just to warn other people, don't buy vouchers on ebay.

I thought I would stretch my xmas money and bought 2 £50 M&S vouchers for £90 and a £100 River Island voucher for £93. I thought I could use the M&S vouchers to buy presents for friends and relatives, and the River Island voucher was for my teenage daughter.

Neither set have arrived, and when I try to open a case with ebay they say that they don't offer buyer protection for that category, they said contact my bank. I paid with paypal and thought they might be able to help, but because I pay by direct transfer from my bank account they can't help either - if I paid my paypal by credit card then I could have claimed.

So, I now have to explain to my kids why they won't be getting much for Xmas this year. They already lost their dad and I am trying so hard to make it up to them, I just feel gutted :(

This is why I always make sure my eBay purchases are on my credit card rather than direct bank withdrawal. PayPal will always lead you in the direction of a direct bank transfer, but you can register your credit card and then you have to remember to click the tick box to use it every time.

It's worth it because you then have credit card protection on all your purchases and not the rather useless Ebay/Paypal 'buyer protection'.

If this is anything to go by i used to have an ebay shop selling lingerie, i also used to sell these items on open ebay auctions as well! I would probably average around 4 or 5 sales per day, over a month i would turn over around £800 not bad EH! my ebay fees were around £600 a month and paypal fees around £100. i dont know if you know this but paypal is owned by ebay!! so there is only one winner there then! It literally wasnt worth doing it, they took all my profit!! I sell adult products and lingerie is only about 10% of my products, obviosly im not allowed to sell the other 90% on ebay. I now have a website, i can sell what i want. ive around 4000 products online, all it costs me is £10 per month, so forget ebay its a waste of time, anyway you get more rights as a buyer getting something direct off a website ebay is a joke now they got too greedy, even sellers are making there money on postage not the product, shop around on google you will get a better deal!!!!

If this is anything to go by i used to have an ebay shop selling lingerie, i also used to sell these items on open ebay auctions as well! I would probably average around 4 or 5 sales per day, over a month i would turn over around £800 not bad EH! my ebay fees were around £600 a month and paypal fees around £100. i dont know if you know this but paypal is owned by ebay!! so there is only one winner there then! It literally wasnt worth doing it, they took all my profit!! I sell adult products and lingerie is only about 10% of my products, obviosly im not allowed to sell the other 90% on ebay. I now have a website, i can sell what i want. ive around 4000 products online, all it costs me is £10 per month, so forget ebay its a waste of time, anyway you get more rights as a buyer getting something direct off a website ebay is a joke now they got too greedy, even sellers are making there money on postage not the product, shop around on google you will get a better deal!!!!

Huh? I sell on Ebay too, mostly scientific antiques and fees are nowhere near as high as you say.

You sold £800 a month and had Ebay/Paypal fees of £700 a month?

I don't believe you. Ebay final value fees are 10% of the final selling price (up to a maximum of £40) and Paypal charge around 3.5% of all money received. So we're looking at around 15% of the hammer price going to Ebay/Paypal.

That's a lot better deal than any regular auction house offers.

what bugs me about ebay and paypal is that you dont get many other options to pay by a different method like google checkout its all about them making money off you.i dont know about other countries but i think they should have other intergrated payment options.try ringing paypal and there advice is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.im sure they like confusing people so they just simply give up.meanwhile they coin all the profits and you are left out of pocket.i agree with a earlier post there a law unto themselves.

what bugs me about ebay and paypal is that you dont get many other options to pay by a different method like google checkout its all about them making money off you.i dont know about other countries but i think they should have other intergrated payment options.try ringing paypal and there advice is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.im sure they like confusing people so they just simply give up.meanwhile they coin all the profits and you are left out of pocket.i agree with a earlier post there a law unto themselves.

Why does it bug you that ebay and Paypal practice in a way to make the most money out of you? They actually are a business trying to make as much money as possible, just like any other business.

Huh? I sell on Ebay too, mostly scientific antiques and fees are nowhere near as high as you say.

You sold £800 a month and had Ebay/Paypal fees of £700 a month?

I don't believe you. Ebay final value fees are 10% of the final selling price (up to a maximum of £40) and Paypal charge around 3.5% of all money received. So we're looking at around 15% of the hammer price going to Ebay/Paypal.

That's a lot better deal than any regular auction house offers.

They re-jigged the final value fees (in May I think). For most categories Buy It Now % dropped from 9.9% to 8%, but the auction fees which used to reduce scaled with item value were hiked up to 8% too, from the lower figures they were before.

Add PayPal's 3.4% (on its own twice what it costs me to receive a credit card payment) and 11.4% is a big wedge, but considering the vast numbr of potential customers eBay gets to, it's worth it - that's why so many people use the facility.

Archived