Scammed on ebay

Am having the same problem with E Bay at the moment, I posted an item to a buyer at the same time as I posted to another buyer, one person received their item, the other "didn't"...and is now trying to open a buyer protection case against me !

I only have her word that she didn't receive the item, but, my husband cannot find the receipt as he only sent it 1st class, not recorded delivery Arghhh.

Don't even bother trying to find the receipt, unless you want to claim from Royal Mail. eBay and PayPal don't care about proof of postage, only proof of delivery...which means the item had to be sent recorded and with a tracking number AND show a signature on delivery (still doesn't work if postman didn't get buyer to sign, or the item was actually lost). You just have to refund, and then put a claim in with RM.

Just to warn other people, don't buy vouchers on ebay.

I thought I would stretch my xmas money and bought 2 £50 M&S vouchers for £90 and a £100 River Island voucher for £93. I thought I could use the M&S vouchers to buy presents for friends and relatives, and the River Island voucher was for my teenage daughter.

Neither set have arrived, and when I try to open a case with ebay they say that they don't offer buyer protection for that category, they said contact my bank. I paid with paypal and thought they might be able to help, but because I pay by direct transfer from my bank account they can't help either - if I paid my paypal by credit card then I could have claimed.

So, I now have to explain to my kids why they won't be getting much for Xmas this year. They already lost their dad and I am trying so hard to make it up to them, I just feel gutted :(

Sorry to hear about this. Sometimes people do genuinely sell vouchers on eBay, myself included. It's always a bit risky on any high value transaction, and the problems aren't limited just to vouchers. I admit there are some extra issues with vouchers of course, but think it would be a shame to close the market for genuine sellers.

Glad you got your £100 back, hope the other money finds it's way back some way.

Does anyone know how seriously the police would take such a situation? After all, theft is theft!

Don't even bother trying to find the receipt, unless you want to claim from Royal Mail. eBay and PayPal don't care about proof of postage, only proof of delivery...which means the item had to be sent recorded and with a tracking number AND show a signature on delivery (still doesn't work if postman didn't get buyer to sign, or the item was actually lost). You just have to refund, and then put a claim in with RM.

Leah thanks for the reply, am more concerned that she has no proof of receipt, therefore she may have the boots and I have to refund her. Flippin E Bay.....:mad:

Archived