Head of First World War soldier

Hi

Does anyone know the story behind the stone head of a First World War soldier (complete with helmet) which appears on the facade of a house (I believe number 99 or thereabouts) on either London Road or Abbeydale Road? I don't know exactly where London Road finishes and Abbeydale Road begins.

I have been trying for ages to get some information - even tried Central Library but with no luck. It's just so intriguing

Historybuff

• 2 years later...

Has anyone the answer as to why the sculpture of the head of a WW1 soldier, complete with tin helmet, should be on the front of 99 ( or 101) Abbeydale Road?

I have tried Sheffield Library and various history groups but no one has an explanation. It is very intriguing.

Have you tried asking the people who live in the house ?

Could it be in memory of someone who died in WW1 and lived at that house ?

Have you tried looking at the 1911 census ?

Sheffield electoral returns for the property ?

http://www.instantstreetview.com/2pir6rz3dxtacz3nwzrkz8k

Is this the sculpture in question ? ^^^^^

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/10140-images-of-sheffields-great-war-soldiers/

Try this website.^^^^^

Please let me know if you find anything out - you've got me intrigued !

Really glad to find this thread. I kept saying to people I'd seen a WW1 soldier's head sticking out of a house wall somewhere but couldn't remember where it was. Everyone always looks at me like I'm insane when I mention it so thank you thank you. I didn't dream it and I'm not mad :D

Archived