How do I find out the history of my house?

Olive

Hi All,

I've recently moved house and I'm interested in fnding out more about its history, who lived there, who owned it etc. I know from the deeds when it was built, but how do I find out more? On the census website it seems like you search by name, rather than address.

Any tips? The neighbours I've spoken to seem to be relatively new to the area so I'm wondering what written information there would be out there.

Thanks!

Wondered if you could help me Hilsbro. I have been looking for details of 65 Forres Road Crookes. My Gran lived there from when it was built in 1912 ish , I believe, to late 70s just before she died.

She had electricity put in and the Yorkshire range taken out. Never had hot water, heating or inside toilet. At one stage (1951) there was my uncle and his wife, my Mum, Dad sister and me plus gran living there.

Hi inessex - the 1925 directory shows "Mrs Esther Gunson" at 65 Forres Street, and the 1942 directory shows the same occupant, the only change being to Forres Road (my 1914 map also shows it as Forres Street). The 1968 and 1973 directories also show "Mrs Esther L. Gunson" there.

The deaths index confirms that Esther Lawson Gunson, born 26 April 1886, died aged 93 in Oct-Dec 1979.

The 1911 census return shows Frederick and Esther Gunson at 130 Broadfield Road, Heeley. Frederick Gunson (described in the census as a "general printer") had married Esther Newton in Jan-Mar 1911..:)

Wow thanks.Esther was my Gran. Fred ran off with a 'fancy woman' to Chesterfield. I thought he worked for Esther's father as a French Polisher but records show printer. He polisher the 'New' Town Hall and Davies Cafe. If you know about The Sheffield Flood you may recognise the name Gunson - He was my 4 greats grand dad

Archived