Expats - Where are you located?

The news from that part of the world suggests the place is a mess.

Interested to get an opinion from a real person.

Think it's all a matter of opinion I suppose! Lived here for a total of 17years and wouldn't live anywhere else! Life's certainly hard in sub Saharan Africa but if the continent is in your blood it's a great place. You either like it or loath it. We've made many genuine friends.I genuinely believe that the white man in Africa should stay out of politics, we certainly don't understand how it works.

My home town here is Bulawayo. Harare? you can keep it! Byo still has that 50's feel to it. The truest statement I ever heard was 'Zimbabweans have the biggest smiles in Africa' How true! Whatever their problems they still smile and are polite. Zimbabweans know how to 'make a plan'.:thumbsup:

Think it's all a matter of opinion I suppose! Lived here for a total of 17years and wouldn't live anywhere else! Life's certainly hard in sub Saharan Africa but if the continent is in your blood it's a great place. You either like it or loath it. We've made many genuine friends.I genuinely believe that the white man in Africa should stay out of politics, we certainly don't understand how it works.

My home town here is Bulawayo. Harare? you can keep it! Byo still has that 50's feel to it. The truest statement I ever heard was 'Zimbabweans have the biggest smiles in Africa' How true! Whatever their problems they still smile and are polite. Zimbabweans know how to 'make a plan'.:thumbsup:

Thanks very much for that; I found that short insight very interesting and would love to hear more.

I know almost nothing about that country except for the news and that's pretty much about Mugabe and not a lot else.

We're informed the country is dangerous (especially if you happen to be white) and half lawless.

How true is that or it it mostly media hype?

As an ex bus inspector in Sheffield I can say I have never felt more threatened than on occasions in Sheffield city centre! I think as in all places it's the 5% of the population that can spoil the place. We have travelled many places and never encountered trouble, crime though can be more violent certainly. (18,000 murders a year in S.A. half in Jo'burg) Having said that you can retaliate should the need arise and the law is on your side (leaving politics aside!).

Certainly all our close friends are white. Education here is the top, we run a nursery school (hence 'scallywags'). On our road there are 14 houses, 6 of which are white owned. They say there are 65,000 elephants in Zimbabwe and 40,000 whites so statistically you are more likely to bump into an elephant!

Whilst on a friends (white) farm for Christmas he remarked that 'it doesn't pay to be black in Africa' how I agree.

Come and try a trip to the 'Falls (touts spoil it a bit) and maybe the game park at Hwange (it's the size of Belgium).

We live an amazing life on less that £600 a month. The kids here have a wonderful outdoor life. We average 8 hours of sunshine each day. Don't get me wrong though, there is poverty and starvation. Before anyone starts I run a charity without any remuneration so its not all take!

Best thing, people like you for what you are and not what you have.

Nice for someone to show an interest! Thanks!:bigsmile:

Hi scallywags - like upinwath I was very interested to hear about Zimbabwe first-hand. About the only news we ever get from there is negative. I've never been there but spent some time in Namibia, Botswana and (mostly) South Africa and it was the crime (even in Rondebosch, CT - forget Jo'burg) that was the main reason we sold up and came back. But eight hours sunshine a day is certainly a plus - especially in January! Enjoy your life in Zim. :)

In many ways, it sounds a lot like where I am in Jakarta.

A mix of very rich and extreme poverty.

Like you, I can also live on 600 quid a month but, for the first two years, lived on about 150.

Moving to Jakarta saw our lifestyle change but we still spend a lot less than most expats here.

Unlike you, I work at a school rather than own one but I still find it very satisfying.

I would love to hear much more about the place, your lifestyle and the lifestyle of the locals.

Pictures would be pretty fantastic if you have 'human interest' shots of where you live.

Regardless of your bent to that, thanks for what you've posted so far.

Hi scallywags - like upinwath I was very interested to hear about Zimbabwe first-hand. About the only news we ever get from there is negative. I've never been there but spent some time in Namibia, Botswana and (mostly) South Africa and it was the crime (even in Rondebosch, CT - forget Jo'burg) that was the main reason we sold up and came back. But eight hours sunshine a day is certainly a plus - especially in January! Enjoy your life in Zim. :)

Nice to hear from people that have an inkling of life in different countries!

Our eldest is still in Sheffield he'd confirm we do enjoy life!:hihi:

Ontario Canada, been here since 1974 :)

Me too or "snap" as we used to say.

I came to London, Ontario in November 1974 and have lived here ever since. I have never regretted the move, but I still love Sheffield.

I get to come back every year as my sister and parents are there.

Archived