Can you put 'credit' on a Kindle?

I thought so. Surely they should have thought about people wanting to gift it and wouldn't want to give an empty device... :huh: Quite a big design flaw to overlook imo.

I have a kindle and i would have been quite happy to recieve one with an empty account .Thousands of free books and cheap books i love my Kindle.

Kindles are fantastic and make a great gift, not something I use as I can only manage to read about 3 pages of the Argos catalogue before losing interest but the other half never puts hers down. The only time I might show an interest in it is if I saw her reading the Kama Sutra on it.

How do you get to that on the Kindle?? I have the Kindle app on my phone, which only allows me to purchase from Amazon. I can use the gutenberg free book site only on my Laputa app.

You would either go to the Gutenberg site on the Kindle's web browser and download them directly (if that's possible) or download them on your home PC and transfer them to the Kindle. Surely they provide a way to get your own documents onto it?

How do you get to that on the Kindle??

The best way is to download the free books to your computer, connect the Kindle to your computer using the supplied micro-USB connector and copy the books over that way.

That's how I do it.

There is an experimental browser on the Kindle but it's rubbish.

How do you get to that on the Kindle?? I have the Kindle app on my phone, which only allows me to purchase from Amazon. I can use the gutenberg free book site only on my Laputa app.

Get the Kindle app for your computer/smart phone then go to gutenburg. Find the book you want and select download to kindle (with or without images), it will then download into your kindle app on your computer. You can then sync it with your online kindle account and thus transfer to any of your kindle devices.

More free books:

http://www.feedbooks.com/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=434020031

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=amb_link_157483207_1?ie=UTF8&node=434020031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=0ZEP79JGFWBDHDVJD4CQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=220353107&pf_rd_i=434020031

jb

ETA: FAQs

If you register the device to yourself and your debit or credit card it may cause problems when the receiver of the gift /kindle wants to purchase books.

I bought my partner his kindle for christmas last year. All he did was go into the account and change it into his name

Archived