Can you put 'credit' on a Kindle?

I thought so. Surely they should have thought about people wanting to gift it and wouldn't want to give an empty device... :huh: Quite a big design flaw to overlook imo.

But they haven't overlooked it.

Look on the right hand side of the page you just tick 'this will be a gift' when you order it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0051QVF7A/ref=sa_menu_kdptq2

Thanks. Was hoping there was a way to do it straight to the device, oh well. If I just put a few books on it myself would I have to register the device to myself or could I just pay for them by logging in to my Amazon account? Sorry, I don't know anything about the Kindle, hopefully someone here has one...

Kindle content bought from Amazon is tied to the account under which it's purchased, not to a specific Kindle device.

If the Kindle is registered to your account, and you buy Kindle books from Amazon under that account, then those books will remain attached to your account. If you deregister the Kindle so that it can be registered to the recipient's Amazon account, those books will be lost to that Kindle. If you subsequently buy a Kindle for yourself and register it to your account, you'll be able to download those book onto that new Kindle.

If you use the 'this is a gift' option when you buy the Kindle itself, of if you buy the Kindle from elsewhere (mine was from John Lewis) you can, of course, register the Kindle to any Amazon account.

Kindle content bought from Amazon is tied to the account under which it's purchased, not to a specific Kindle device.

If the Kindle is registered to your account, and you buy Kindle books from Amazon under that account, then those books will remain attached to your account. If you deregister the Kindle so that it can be registered to the recipient's Amazon account, those books will be lost to that Kindle. If you subsequently buy a Kindle for yourself and register it to your account, you'll be able to download those book onto that new Kindle.

If you use the 'this is a gift' option when you buy the Kindle itself, of if you buy the Kindle from elsewhere (mine was from John Lewis) you can, of course, register the Kindle to any Amazon account.

Wow... okay, sounds a bit like Apple software. I won't bother messing about with the registration, I'll just use the gift option you mentioned. A very nice forum member is helping me sort out the book download via computer option so hopefully it'll all work out. :)

...You can also buy books from your account and gift them to their Kindle.

When I buy a Kindle book from Amazon I only get the option to deliver to my own Kindle or to register a new Kindle. I can also 'transfer via computer' (ie. download to my computer then transfer to the Kindle via USB), but then I have to choose which Kindle I plan to transfer the book to; again, the only options are 'Hecate's Kindle' or 'register a new Kindle'. I don't see an option in the Amazon 'your Kindle library' to transfer a purchased book as a gift to another Kindle account.

After typing all that, I've just had a look at the web sites and it seems that the 'give as a gift' option is only available if your account is with Amazon.com: Amazon.com; Amazon.co.uk

Another tool to look at is Calibre ebook organsier - FOC and handy for all those free ebooks that someone mentioned earlier

Calibre is a superb tool. Excellent for converting between ebook formats too.

Archived