MPs Debate for Europe

it would take months or even years to train everybody who needed training, so how would the economy function during that period?

you are quite correct that the economy isn't doing very well, so why should be do something that would make it worse.

Why shouldn't the electorate have a say in this..?

So you think that during the referendum campaign the politicians would tell the truth and lead us down the correct path? Who knows, maybe some politicians would get all honest and become genuine and forthright and change the habits of a life time.

Personally I doubt it.

I don't buy this argument that the electorate can't possibly know what is best and the politicians have to protect us from ourselves. You can't have 70% of the electorate telling you clearly that they want something and refuse to give them what they are asking for. FWIW I reckon we'd have a vote to stay in anyway.

and then our economy would collapse because they are doing jobs which the locals are too idle or lack the skills to do

Ah, that old chestnut! Or maybe the 'locals' don't want to sleep 12 to a room and totally ignore our laws?

Of course, with calm, reasoned debate like:

of course, if you feel that we would be better as a slave state of the US or live in a fantasy world where we still have an empire then i can see why you would want us to leave

and

and the rest just sounds like the standard "its all the immigrants fault" bnp/edl rant

and

it wont happen, this is just a pointless masturbatory fantasy for the neocon right

Well, who needs a referendum?

True to a point but its not like waiting until the next general election so you can have a say on the EU unless you vote for some nutters like the bnp.

Old chestnut alert #2!

And what say would that be, then? They're all part of the same, cosy old-boy network who won't rock the boat, damage their feather-bedded existence or risk their pensions.

The vote last night proved two things. Firstly, that the Government System 'won', and secondly that all three main parties treat the electorate with equal disdain and contempt.

It would not work like that.
I can see that you manifestly have a vast experience/history of intra-EU and inter-country personal taxation and double-taxation agreements :D

Why would it?
Because many local EU bubbles were created (in the main) by Brits and Irish releasing (never-never) equity in the boom years.

It would work exactly like that, Stepman. As an owner of any taxable asset, you are never further away from tax armageddon than the stroke of a pen ratifying a new bit of tax legislation ;)

I've lived it in the mid-90s, when France decided overnight (and I mean overnight: legislation voted on 31 December, implemented with effect as of 01 Jan) to tax non-doms from the first € at punitive rates (rather than apply normal thresholds and rates). I've lived it further, what with moving, working, buying assets and paying tax in several different EU countries.

You think it "wouldn't work like that"? You keep telling yourself that :hihi:

Does anybody think that the rest of the EU, and France and Germany in particular take kindly to the UK destroying their economies by withdrawing from the EU?

It would be messy, it would cost both us and the EU an unbelievable amount of money with no end of petty squabbles at a time when there's no money to spare.

The end point would be that we'd then be in a weaker place in the world, we'd not be part of a massive trading block and as such our negotiating position with the USA and the BRIC countries would be extremely weak. We'd have no say at all within the EU, and as a result none of the decisions made would be taken with our interests in mind.

The Empire's gone, times moved on, we're in no position to influence world events standing alone anymore and the sooner the people in this country realise this the quicker we can start to move forwards.

I can see that you manifestly have a vast experience/history of intra-EU and inter-country personal taxation and double-taxation agreements :D

Because many local EU bubbles were created (in the main) by Brits and Irish releasing (never-never) equity in the boom years.

It would work exactly like that, Stepman. As an owner of any taxable asset, you are never further away from tax armageddon than the stroke of a pen ratifying a new bit of tax legislation ;)

I've lived it in the mid-90s, when France decided overnight (and I mean overnight: legislation voted on 31 December, implemented with effect as of 01 Jan) to tax non-doms from the first € at punitive rates (rather than apply normal thresholds and rates). I've lived it further, what with moving, working, buying assets and paying tax in several different EU countries.

You think it "wouldn't work like that"? You keep telling yourself that :hihi:

You have very limited experience and knowledge and this would make it very difficult for me to explain the intricacies of my vast experience and knowledge to you.

My advice to you would be education, education , education if you do not wish to continue believing nonsense based upon little knowledge and experience.:)

You have very limited experience and knowledge and this would make it very difficult for me to explain the intricacies of my vast experience and knowledge to you.
I await the demonstration of your claimed wisdom with baited breath :hihi:

In the meantime, my advice to you would be to stop side-stepping the issues raised, if you do not wish to continue being taken for a troll :)

The vote last night proved two things. Firstly, that the Government System 'won', and secondly that all three main parties treat the electorate with equal disdain and contempt.

No, not all. 79 Tories voted against the government’s EU referendum vote. There have been cases where the whip has been withdrawn from MP’s for such defiance.

But if the whip is withdrawn from an MP, surely that is considered a good thing, as it leaves an MP free from being bullied or cajoled into voting the way of his party - does it not?

I await the demonstration of your claimed wisdom with baited breath :hihi:

In the meantime, my advice to you would be to stop side-stepping the issues raised, if you do not wish to continue being taken for a troll :)

Ah! The old "He has me beaten in open debate so I will call him a troll" syndrome.

Well that should do it!:(

Archived