MPs Debate for Europe

I find it really amusing that some people think that this government cares what the electorate think.They do not give a damn. They were not elected, they are in power only by default. They only care about looking after their bosses, the bankers.

If this is the case why is UKIP not the largest party in Parliament ?

:roll: I love that old chestnut the Europhyles come out with - "if the country is so anti-European union why do they keep voting for pro EU parties in general elections, and not UKIP?"

General elections are not referendums on the EU; to claim a vote for Labour, LibDem or even Tory in a general election is effectively a yes vote to EU membership is typical of arrogant smug Europhyles.

The evidence that Britain is, at least, unhappy with the type of relationship we have with the EU is the fact that most British MEP's are Eurosceptic.

Heard several MPs yesterday talk of "renegotiating the terms of our relationship with the EU" or words to that effect. I wonder how well that will go down with the rest of the EU member states, with just us rocking the boat. I've a feeling if we go down that road, it will be them saying to us, you're either in or out.

indeed, and that is what many of those who proposed it want, they just don't have the courage to come out and say it.

Would I be right in saying that WTO (world trade organisation) rules wont allow the EU to petulantly slap tariffs on UK trade were the the UK to leave the EU?

i'm fairly sure that the wto agreements are at the eu level, so if we were not in the eu then we would be outside the wto and so their rules would not apply. we could of course rejoin the wto as the uk and then the rules would apply again.

either way, the eu could certainly put some tarriffs on and even if they are not large tarrifs it would make it harder for our business.

of course, eu customers could petulantly decide to purchase from other eu countries in preference to the uk. i'm quite sure that some enterprising salesman man would use that as part of their pitch and indeed replacing what would be uk made products with eu made products will help to reflate the eu economy while it tanked ours.

Archived